Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default .303 Lee Enfield Jungle carbine

I have inhereted a .303 Lee Enfield Jungle carbine , even got its bayonet. Its a shortend .303 with a flared barrel. I have no need for it and if I get it deactivated I am scared to lose all value to it. I am thinking off selling it and use to money for a new pistol. Anyone know what its worth. I can get a foto to download , but it you google it you can see a foto. Help pls.

Default Re: .303 Lee Enfield Jungle carbine

PLEASE DO NOT DEACTIVATE A NO5 JUNGLE CARBINE!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What cost are you looking at, I'm not in the market but wouldnt want something that has historical value get destroyed??

Ps. please pop over to the introduction section and post an intro.

User

+1 on what SS said,potentially plenty takers for that me thinks!

User

How much you want I'll take it

Ok I wont deactivate it , I have seen on a website that something simular sold for R7000.00 but I will have to take it to a expert to get it valuated. At the moment its at a police station for safe keeping for its still register to my deciced father. I see that on the bayonette their is a date of 1907 and its got a stensil mark in the metal that looks like the British crown. I am situated in Cape Town. Can someone give me a bit more info on this rifle , why it was shortend and where was it used ext.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne Claassen View Post
    Ok I wont deactivate it , I have seen on a website that something simular sold for R7000.00 but I will have to take it to a expert to get it valuated. At the moment its at a police station for safe keeping for its still register to my deciced father. I see that on the bayonette their is a date of 1907 and its got a stensil mark in the metal that looks like the British crown. I am situated in Cape Town. Can someone give me a bit more info on this rifle , why it was shortend and where was it used ext.
    They were made for troops fighting in jungle conditions. It is basically a shortened and lightened Lee Enfield rifle. Values can vary quite widely, depending upon exactly by whom it was made (Lee Enfield rifles were made by a number of manufacturers, whose markings usually appear on the metal wrist), when it was made and the originality and condition of the rifle. The bayonet sounds like the standard item. You are probably going to struggle to work out exactly all the details without the assistance of somebody who knows rifles quite well. You are free to send me pictures if you want but they will need to be quite detailed and reasonably high resolution. Based on that we should be able to work out exactly who made the rifle, when and to what extent it is still original. Should be able to form some idea of condition as well if the photographs are sufficiently detailed.

R 7000 must be a record high price for a Jungle Carbine. It would have to be something quite special to achieve that sort of price in the ordinary market. While you do not find them on every corner, they are not exactly rare either. But rarity may also depend upon exactly who made the rifle. Some manufacturers are more sought after than others.

google is your friend, heres a good start to some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine

Ok I will go to the Police station and take some photos of it and send it to your e-mail adress. Thanks

Ok guys I took It to Surburban gun and they identified it as a Lee Enfield 303 Jungle carbine mark 1 no 5 1945, P14. Their said its in a 80% condition and all serial numbers match. They mentioned that it still looks very original. They offer to export it for me but I declined. So now to decided that to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne Claassen View Post
    Ok guys I took It to Surburban gun and they identified it as a Lee Enfield 303 Jungle carbine mark 1 no 5 1945, P14. Their said its in a 80% condition and all serial numbers match. They mentioned that it still looks very original. They offer to export it for me but I declined. So now to decided that to do.
    Morne, I could have told you all that to start with other than the "80% condition and all serial numbers match" part, which is useful information. The issue you have is that "Lee Enfield" refers to a type of rifle as opposed to the actual manufacturer. It is like talking about "a sedan car". There were various manufacturers of Lee Enfield rifles and value may be dependent upon who made it. Some are more valuable than others. The only way to know is bit carefully examining the markings on the rest of the rifle and identifying them against the markings used by the various manufacturers. If you send me the photographs, I can check it against the collectors reference works that I have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast