User

Default Inline Muzzle loader

Good day people

I am interested in this black powder guns to hunt with and were looking around on the net and came
    across this site http://www.mkonto.co.za/. I made contact with the owner and he quoted me R8000
    starting price for a standard .50 caliber.

Now i am stupid regarding this type of guns and it looks like there is some "boffins" ;) among us.
    Please can somebody with the necessary knowhow have a look on this site and advise me if this is a
    deal worth chasing. lv29

Thanx

Default Re: Inline Muzzle loader

Hi
    Why are you looking at an inline in particular? R8000 sounds steep to me for a locally manufatured rifle. There are many different types of Muzzle Loaders that you can use to hunt with. Classic Arms have the Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block in stock for less than you were quoted and strictly speaking it is also an inline as the ignition is initiated in line with the bore. I own one and it is a great rifle with a relatively fast rate of twist favouring conical bullets. It is very well made and has a magnum barrel permitting use of loads up to 150gns of 2f BP. Under normal conditions I would regard a .50 cal as the minimum caliber to hunt with anyway (hunting the type of game the average Joe can afford i.e from springbuck up to Kudu) and would probably look for someting bigger such as a .54. Particularly if you are going to shoot round ball. I would recommend using conicals anyway because with a Muzzle Loader you trade muzzle velocity for bullet weight as compared to a nitro rifle.

User

Hi Mars
    Thanks for the reply. As i said i am stupid regarding muzzle loaders ;D so anybody can feed me bullshit and i will have to swallow.
    I were looking at the Umkhonto site because it looked quite interesting and gave me a lot of info regarding muzzle guns.
    I dint particular look at in line guns. Just looking for something to hunt up to Kudu/Gemsbok/wildebees size game with.Any suggestions ?

I will look at secondhand as well. I saw somewhere that one need a permit to be in possesion of black powder, how do you get such a
    permit and how long do you have to wait for it if it is a SAPS application.

Do anybody know the nearest club or range to Vereeniging where i can go and spend a couple of Saturdays watching (drooling) ;D over
    some muzzle guns and maybe beg a shot or two from a experienced "muzzle man"

KduP

User

A bunch of muzzle loader enthusiasts are having a nice informal shooting competition at the Rashoop shooting range in the Brits area on 13th June, 2009. You are welcome to come along and ask questions, and take a look at all the different types of muzzle loading guns out there. I can give you a couple of shots with some of my muzzle loading rifles at the range as well. There will be separate classes for handguns, double rifles (Kodiak), normal single barrelled rifles, as well as smoothbore muskets. It promises to be a very informative event for all who attend. You are welcome to visit us. Event starts at 9am

User

As for an Inline muzzle loader, I would rather take a look at the Davide-pedersoli Rolling block. You can buy one from Classic arms Witbank for less than the Mkonto one.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?ite...rsoli2&lang=en
    model S882

User

Hi Mic

Thanks for the invite. sorry but cant make it this weekend, but please keep me informed of any future events
    as i would like to attend and learn more about BP guns

Cheers

Kdup

You need a permit to buy and store Blackpowder. This is obtained from the SAPS from thm the Explosives Division and not via the CFR.

User

Thanks Corne will visit the "cop shop" soonest to get application forms.