Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default I want to buy a gun

Hi guys
    I want to buy a gun so looking for advice on what where how costs etc?
    I live in joburg, am a girl 8) and an artist so want something easy, stylish and not expensive...tall order?

or could you point me in the direction of a place to go?

thank you much
    xmary

Default Re: I want to buy a gun

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    Hi guys
    I want to buy a gun so looking for advice on what where how costs etc?
    I live in joburg, am a girl 8) and an artist so want something easy, stylish and not expensive...tall order?

or could you point me in the direction of a place to go?

thank you much
    xmary

PM Khumba for a Glock 26, meets all your requirements, otherwise an SW M&P compact Khumba will get you the details
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

You have made a huge mistake identifying yourself as a girl on this site. ;D

What do you intend to do with the gun? Are you looking for a handgun, shotgun or rifle? Or all three?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I think its the first time I've seen someone looking for a "stylish" gun, although I'm glad to see a girl wanting to buy a gun and protect herself.

User

Hi Mary

Same answer I give to everyone looking for a gun for a female. Go read www.corneredcat.com.

Pick one of the married blokes here and let him drag you to the range with an assortment of hardware. Shoot 'em all. Then decide.

Guns are relatively cheap but the licencing process is a nightmare, so make sure you get the right one (it's a bit like getting married, but somewhat cheaper to get out of).

W

Banned

Hi Mary.  "Easy" and "stylish" is easy (that would be a Ruger SP-101 or similar 2" snubby in .38 Special) but you'll have to define "not expensive".  In addition to SSP's questions (although I'll make a huge assumption in saying that that you are looking for a handgun for self-defense?) you'll also have to answer what's the most that you're prepared to spend?  Bearing in mind that you WILL have to set aside additional money for ammunition (carry PLUS practice, and the good stuff is not cheap) and some time and (more!) money for decent training on how to carry, handle and shoot your new purchase (and I don't just mean the mandatory competency training that you must undergo in order to get a license).  You may even find that the training (which should be ongoing) could cost as much as the gun you've just bought, so keep this in mind and budget for this when you narrow your choices down.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying a gun but it happens all to often that a person buys a gun above their price bracket and then can't afford the ancillary gear, ammo and training, which goes hand-in-hand with owning a gun.

Luckily for you, it's a heavy buyer's market at the moment so even with a small wad of cash or a slightly bruised credit card you should be able to walk away with a perfectly decent (even if it is made of plastic and has the word "Glock" stamped on it, in this case you may lose on the style rating but you will gain on the ease rating) gun on your hip and smile on your face.  FWIW, there's a half-decent article and review in the current issue of Magnum Magazine by Paul Scarlata regarding the most popular polymer (plastic) semi-auto pistols on offer and how they rate against each others.  But I'm sure you'll find no shortage of reading, reviews and opinions on what woman should and shouldn't carry.

Good luck and welcome to the gun-world!  :)

Artists carrying guns... what has the world come to...  hpy71

Hi Mary.

Tacticool has nothing to do with anything, when the excremental matter impacts on the mechanical air circulating device.
    My opinion choose a glock 19. Its easy to operate & clean.
    Get decent carry ammo.
    Practice.
    Practice.
    then
    Sign up for SWATG gunfight fundamentals course. (Then you will be stylin 8) )

NOTE: Training to become familiar with the gun is totally different from the mindset needed & required to use it.

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

easy, stylish and not expensive...tall order?
    1. Easy - Glock 19 or the equivalent S&W M&P....Speak to Khumba
    2. Stylish - As they say...'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'...and thus all my guns are stylish to me....but forget about stylish as it is not a extra piece of jewelry or another piece of art to share admiration on with your buddies.
    3. Expensive - What is your live worth to you.....R1,000 or R10,000..... A decent new firearm does not come cheap but it is currently a buyers market and there are secondhand ones floating around at good prices.

Further advice.....try to get to a range and shoot and handle a few different firearms and see what works for you. Define what your needs will be as this will also play a part.

To ask the question you asked is quick and easy....to properly answer it is not....

Well done guys,I noted how quickly those replies were posted. ;D
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

whoa ho ho ho guys.
    rad. thanks for such prompt responses. nice. Im making a general response -

This is something Ive been thinking about for years now, and the reason Im here talking to you guys is that I dont know anyone at all who carries a firearm. I know I probably sound a bit naive, but Im just beginning to explore my options.

I was a reservist many (hem hem) years ago, before I went to live abroad, and managed to become a kind of weapons instructor helper girl (dont ask) so have some vague idea about what to do when i have the thing i want. it has however been quite a while, and i've never owned my own gun. Dont want to sound too flippant but i really cant see myself carrying a semi-automatic rifle around, nor a shotgun... but seriously, Im not that keen on a revolver - more of a pistol girl i think?
    Someone mentioned that aesthetics should not be important - i beg to differ - if im going to be carrying it around i have to like it and it will have to make me happy when i look at and feel it.
    also - of course fundamentally im thinking about self defense but i would also like to spend some time playing around on the range. I think i would need some time to get used to my gun and to become comfortable with carrying it etc. So both aspects are important. I dont like the idea of having a gun and not being in constant practice - I also really enjoyed working on the range.
    Re my price range - Im thinking definitely under 5 grand excl. extras such as training etc. Since I have very little idea what i want at this point it is hard to say how much i want to spend - If i find something that makes me blush I am willing to pay over the odds, but i may be equally happy with the bargain basement.

and last but not least - who is Khumba and where do i find him/it/her?

thanks so much again all of you hpy180

xmary

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast