User

Default .22 silencer problem?

Hallo guys, I recently had a silencer fitted by a gunsmith in the Western Cape. It is the first normal rifle silencer on a rifle all my other silencers are the "reflex type".

The .22 has a stianless bull barrel on it. The problem I think I have is if I screw the silencer on it sits very "loose" or "wobbly" or there is a lot of play, unless I screw it tight against the barrel then there is no movement.

Has the thread been cut to "loose" or isn't there a problem and silencers is normally very wobbly unless it is screwed all the way to the back.

My second problem is the thread has been cut very deep (please see attached picture). I measured it roughly at almost 5mm. I specifically not wanted the thread this deep. Could this lead to problems?

Thanks in advanced
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Default Re: .22 silencer problem?

Pressure at the muzzle is lower then at the chamber so should not be a problem. A .22 is in any case a low pressure rifle. From what I understand most reflex type silencers have an O-ring at the back that mates with the barrel to stop any wobble and to guide the silencer into place.

User

That looks fine - Std 1/2 "unf thread probably, which usually has a bit of play in the threads. If it has been machined correctly tightening it up to the shoulder should index it properly.
    If you have too little thread you run the risk of stripping it as you need to get a decent amount of friction between the barrel & silencer to stop it working loose.

Hi Stephanbel

Your 22LR has a very nice thick barrel - which is one of the reasons that your thread cut looks so dramatic. What the thick barrel does afford you is a nice big shoulder for the silencer to index (to use Grim's words) against. This is actually a very nice situation, as you are not relying on the thread tolerances to give you allignment.

S/Steel tends to "bind" on threads - no doubt you were advised to use "copper slip" or "nickel thread paste" or some such grease like substance to prevent this (BTW, Castrol LM works fine for this at 1/10 of the cost). Having a loose-ish thread tolerance means that you are less likely to battle with this problem.

I do not think that you have a problem. What I suggest is doing a trial: fit silencer and shoot a 5 shot group, remove and refit silencer and shoot another 5 shot group [do this 5 or so times]. I am willing to bet that you will have the same POI and the same group size - which should convince you that you are all in the clear.

User

Thanks guys, I feel much more at ease now. I shot it yesterday and now problems at all.