Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Hire an AK-47 for a day.

Old article but a search hasn't found it posted before, and it does contain a chilly warning...

http://www.afrika.no/Detailed/12857.html

South Africa: We (almost) hire an AK-47

Mail & Guardian (South Africa), by Monako Dibetle / Saturday, 30 September 2006

Two weeks ago I connected with gun dealers on the streets of Sharpeville in the Vaal Triangle. They agreed to lease me an AK-47 for a day for R2 000. After two months of telephonic negotiation with the dealers -- former Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) and African People’s Liberation Army (Apla) cadres -- the deal was struck.

They knew I was a journalist, and therefore had financial backing, and that they were on to a good thing -- before it escalated, the starting price was R1 000. Under normal circumstances, the price for leasing an AK-47 or R4 rifle on the streets ranges from R500 to R600 a day or per “operation”.

The standard police response is that semi-automatic rifles are leaking into the country from neighbouring states, particularly Zimbabwe and Mozambique, where demobilised soldiers are selling them.

But my contacts told me the AK came from an arms cache laid down in Sharpeville during the anti- apartheid struggle.

The fact that apartheid-era caches still exist, and appear to be feeding weapons to criminal syndicates, may partly explain the statement in the South African Police Service’s 2005/06 annual report about “increases in the incidence of robberies at business and residential premises, cash-in-transit robberies and car-jacking.

“It seems that people are being fatally wounded during incidents like these because criminals increasingly use heavy-calibre firearms,” the report says.

However, a former Apla contact I spoke to told me that arms were also being stolen from the South African Defence Force for street deals.

I should make it clear that my purpose in contacting the arms dealers was purely journalistic -- I wanted to see how easy it would be to lay my hands on a semi-automatic weapon and what it would cost.

Cultivating connections with the dealers was no easy feat, as they are constantly on the lookout for police investigators. The supply chain usually revolves around people who have been in the business for years -- newcomers are generally not tolerated.

The procedure behind selling or leasing weapons is that every member of the group must be consulted and agree before a transaction takes place. I had to win the approval of five people.

My go-between was a former MK cadre, who I had met at a conference. He set up my first meeting with the dealers, in the dark in front of the 1960 Sharpeville massacre site in the centre of the township.

Suspicious of my intentions, the five dealers hovered in the vicinity for 30 minutes -- presumably checking for police. With the coast clear, the deal was struck.

Two weeks later we met at the same place -- and I was shown and briefly held the AK and a full magazine. We agreed to meet the next day for the handover, but the meeting never took place because our contacts did not pitch up.

According to a former Apla combatant and member of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), Lucky Twala (not his real name), weapons from both the anti-apartheid era and the current defence force are easily accessible in the townships, if one has the contacts. He claimed such weapons include hand grenades, tear gas canisters, bullet proof vests, camouflage uniforms and even rocket launchers.

He said: “There are many of us out there and we are poor and angry. The rise in the use of machine guns in South Africa will continue because there is supply of the arms when you really need them.”

Twala said it was possible to buy an R4 rifle for R4 000 on the streets. Its higher price is because of its relative scarcity -- AK-47s are easier to come by.

Twala told me that most of the arms reach the streets by means of orders given to SANDF insiders who steal them at shooting ranges. Some had been buried for years and have only recently been exhumed to meet increasing demand.

He said most of the AKs entered the country from Mozambique and many had been stolen by South African soldiers from the Lesotho armed forces during the attempted military coup in that country in 1998 and had been kept for personal protection.

Twala said soldiers from neighbouring states were willing to sell weapons to South Africans for less than R1 000.

He claimed that combatants were at the forefront of most robberies. The former cadres turned armed robbers were driven by frustration with government for “forgetting about them after 1994”.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Default Re: Hire an AK-47 for a day.

Good read. Scary since it is 6years old. What could have happened in 6years...

User

Chilling!

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Yeah, probably costs around R800 - R1000 now. Eish, this inflation is very bad.

:oP
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    More illegal guns being available based on the number of FA's misplaced by the various Goverment entities.

As far as I can tell based upon what I read generally, the supply of AK-47s seems to have dried up and most crimes where long guns are involved now seem to be committed with R series rifles (R4 and R5).

very scary

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    As far as I can tell based upon what I read generally, the supply of AK-47s seems to have dried up and most crimes where long guns are involved now seem to be committed with R series rifles (R4 and R5).
    W

Would add that the availability of ammo has something to do with this too,those empty ammo stores of the saps in guateng are the clue...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Dried up how? That's even more scary as one can only guess what's happened to them... Likely redistributed.

^^^ +1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast