Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double action.

User

Default Double action.

Is it true that in IDPA shoots a handgun that has a double action and single action option like a CZ75 for example has to start all stages in the double action mode? If so, what is the rationale behind this rule?

Not trying to stir, I just heard that this is the case and I'm interested in knowing.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Default Re: Double action.

Depends on your division. Stock Service Pistol requires a DAO or Double Action first shot for every string.

The whole point of IDPA is to try to simulate real world scenarios using real world carry guns. How realistic would it be if you carried, say, a CZ75 hammer down every day, then started cocked and locked in the courses of fire?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I carry a Tanfolglio TA90 which is SA/DA optional and I carry cocked and locked so starting every course of fire in DA mode would not be realistic for me. I understand that the rule writers need to draw a line somewhere but as soon as you start making rules you then need to make more rules to keep it the same for everyone. This is the main reason I left IPSC/Sapsa several years ago. The number of rules started to detract from the enjoyment. Especially since many of the rules where written just to try to level the playing field for different equipment. I would say, rather leave these rules out so that we can see which equipment is best instead of trying to negate any equipment advantage. Yes, this does lead to an "arms race" but there are so many other inequalities so what the hell.

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy
    I carry a Tanfolglio TA90 which is SA/DA optional and I carry cocked and locked so starting every course of fire in DA mode would not be realistic for me. I understand that the rule writers need to draw a line somewhere but as soon as you start making rules you then need to make more rules to keep it the same for everyone. This is the main reason I left IPSC/Sapsa several years ago. The number of rules started to detract from the enjoyment. Especially since many of the rules where written just to try to level the playing field for different equipment. I would say, rather leave these rules out so that we can see which equipment is best instead of trying to negate any equipment advantage. Yes, this does lead to an "arms race" but there are so many other inequalities so what the hell.

Sean.
    So don't shoot in SSP. Shoot in ESP. Problem solved.

All games have rules. Thats how that works.

IPSC is what happens when an "arms race" is permitted.
    Havamal

sean
    where do you shoot idpa ? for a so not to tell you that you can start cocked and locked and just shoot in the esp division he has no feeking idea what he's doing.

I don't think it's the SO's job to tell the shooter what division he should shoot in. Thats what the rule book is for.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    I don't think it's the SO's job to tell the shooter what division he should shoot in. Thats what the rule book is for.
    Thanks SSP. hpy180

Its the shooters duty to choose a Division. If you choose SSP you start DA. If you choose ESP you start cocked and locked. If you are wise you choose a Glock or M&P and not worry about it because it's always the same ;D

BUT if the shooter, a new shooter, asked the match director before the shoot what he should do because he is not informed enough then, imo, the SO should explain the options.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    SSP and Khumba, I think bobby's verbiage was perhaps off but I know what he's trying to say.  IMO the SO (the MD is, well down here at least, only a lowly SO) would advise (not "tell") the shooter what options he has available and division he should shoot in based on what's allowed in the Rule Book as well as the division he feels most comfortable shooting in.  Most shooters (again, down here) don't even know what we (SOs) are talking about when we refer to "Rule Book".  Shooters don't read Rule Books.  SOs read Rule Books.  Sean's question is perhaps even an indication of that.  Sean hasn't read the Rule Book (no offense to you Sean) hence his question.  It's all fine and well preaching that it's the shooter's duty to do this, that and t'other but they (shooters) generally don't and as SOs we need to be empathetic and offer guidance.  If we "attitude" them about "Rule Book" and "shooter's duty" then we profit the sport none as we may lose a shooter.  Perhaps things work differently up in GP... we're a bit more laid back down here innie Kaap hpy180

So Sean, if you're anywhere down in the Cape Town area, drop me or bobby a line and we'll walk you through the process.  If not... READ THE RULE BOOK!  ;D

User

It makes great sense to me that there is a division in a sport that is build around carry guns that requires you to start hammer down. It never ceases to amaze me how many people carry a pistol hammer down and then never shoot it like that.

If you always carry condition 1 go ESP.

BTW CDP at the US champs has been won at least once and IIRC more than once by shooters using DA first shot pistols against some of the best 1911 shooters in the world.

User

I do not shoot IDPA but used to shoot IPSC until about 1995. I was just wondering since I had heard this and was wondering what the motivation for the rule was. What is the difference between the two classes mentioned?

Sean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast