Thread: Musket #2

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Musket #2

Hi Guys

Anyone know anything about this particular beast?

I'm looking for case dimensions as well as a picture.

Thanks.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Default Re: Musket #2

Yes I can help you. This is a very neat cartridge. Wall Winfer book British Single Shots-Westely Richards has a lot of info on this cartridge.

If you visit www.martiniforum.org and look around you will find a lot of discussion on this cartridge.

WOW!  confused0068

Thanks DoubleD! Awesome info there!

I'm trying to help a friend in determining the calibre of the rifle barrel of his drilling. I slugged it at 11mm across the lands (used a .45 ACP lead bullet) and it is a straight-walled case. His father alleged it was a 'Musket', but it was then licensed as a .303. It is CLEARLY not a .303, though!

I've estimated that it was made around 1912 - 1915 (Serial # 118xxx) and looks exactly the same as this: http://www.altejagdwaffen.de/Details...&tx_fwwcat_pi1, item #120.

A 38-40 WCF case fits perfectly into the extractor/barrel mouth but is a bit short; the rim & base dia. dimensions are the same, but I have no idea what it could be. There is no bottleneck or any type of shoulder in the chamber.

Any ideas?
    ??? ???
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Are there any markings at all on water table of the gun? Can you take pictures-good clear readable pictures of the markings.

With out a good chamber cast and the lack of good chamber markings it's difficult to tell what the cartrididge might be. I have books of cartridges and the numbers of variation based just on what you posted is vast. There is also a problem with sonme of the measurements in these books especialy when the measuremetns are translated from metric to inch or inch to metric. These measurements are convertable but not interchangable. The most common cartridge reference book Cartridges of the World is notorious for it's inaccuracy in this light.

The reference to .303 is interesting. Have you tried a .303 case in the chamber?

Hi DoubleD

Chamber casting is the next step. Sauer DE also wants a casting, as they have no records prior to 1945.

At this stage, based on info from this lot: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...878&Main=70291 , I'm going with 11x65R. However, the casting will confirm. Rifling is also the same as this: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...e=0#Post127848

Definately not .303. The friends' uncle had the same gun in 12/12/303 & they 'sommer' listed it as the same. Definately not .303, I tried!

Quote Originally Posted by BoerBok
    Definately not .303, I tried!
    Makes me think what else you tried to jam in that things chamber.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Ag nee man now we're back to the KY thread again and I was enjoying the technical talk!

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Quote Originally Posted by BoerBok
    Definately not .303, I tried!
    You weren't close so I could not try "MHC"-calibre...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD
    Are there any markings at all on water table of the gun? Can you take pictures-good clear readable pictures of the markings.
    There are markings, but they are washed out a bit. I'll try cleaning it with a solvent & then take pics. Failing which, I'll try chalk or talcum powder. The gun's got MILES on it & the action is rattly. Apparently the Oom's Osborne was fixed by a certain short oke from CPT using a large moering tool and several shots to the doll's head... confused0068

Aways, further details to follow.

Thanks!

User

The reason I asked about the .303 was for fit. There are some British .400's that used a longer case that share the .303 head dimensions.

Without some more dimensions it's realy nothing but speculation as to what you have. Once you a chamber cast and clear pictures, especially of the markings post over on Nitro Express forum, those fellows are the best ones to help you fiund your answer.