Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Big Bore "Elbow"?

Afternoon all,

I received my 375Ruger about 6-7 weeks back and started reloading and shooting shortly thereafter. After the second shooting session I developed an aching left elbow (I shoot left) but could not connect it to anything I did that would cause the pain. The recoil pad of the Howa counters the recoil very well and I did not have any soreness on the shoulder as my pump-shottie would typical produce. So I made no connection at the time to the 375R shooting. All shooting has been of the bench to test bullet speeds/load groupings (235gr and 270gr).

Past Saturday it was time again to check loads in the 375R and after 3-4 shots I was winching from the aching left arm. 1 and 1 then came together - could it be the 375R that is causing the left arm/elbow pain? Could there be a shoulder problem ito recoil absorpsion that shows up in the elbow (reference pain they call it...) Has anyone experienced/heard of the same problem? The shoulder is still unbruised as before but the left elbow ache's and I cannot lift anything with my left arm without experiencing discomfort (degree depends on weight I am lifting..)

Any comments?

B3

User

Default Re: Big Bore "Elbow"?

Growing pains!?! Maybe you are growing again because you are using a man size calibre

User

I don’t know about elbow pain, but I had a pain above my right eye first time I shot my 375 Ruger....

User

Err Uhm...

Have shot "big" calibers before just not so many shots on a day (day1 = 20; day2 = 30; day3 = 15) And I seem to manage the recoil quite OK, no facial hits as yet...

Had a two other 375 shooters on the range on Saturday (1x H&H and 1x Ruger) and both anticipate the recoil and jerk their heads up on the shot - not good for accuracy i'd suppose...

B3

Having done lots of big bore, thi isn't something I've encountered. However I have had nasty roasties on my support elbow from the friction with the ground/bench.
    You say its on your left arm/elbow? This may be then due to damage to the nerve in the shoulder and the pain is being felt in the elbow. The recoil pad may be softening the blow, relting in no surface bruising but the violent wrenching of the shoulder still is being absorbed.

Nice excuse for a massage although some physio's should be banned by the geneva convention for conduction torture on innocents.

B3 just admit it, it is all due to your "advanced" age...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gun shows are like strip clubs, you get to see alot, touch a little, but nothing ever comes home with you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by B3 View Post
    Afternoon all,

I received my 375Ruger about 6-7 weeks back and started reloading and shooting shortly thereafter. After the second shooting session I developed an aching left elbow (I shoot left) but could not connect it to anything I did that would cause the pain. The recoil pad of the Howa counters the recoil very well and I did not have any soreness on the shoulder as my pump-shottie would typical produce. So I made no connection at the time to the 375R shooting. All shooting has been of the bench to test bullet speeds/load groupings (235gr and 270gr).

Past Saturday it was time again to check loads in the 375R and after 3-4 shots I was winching from the aching left arm. 1 and 1 then came together - could it be the 375R that is causing the left arm/elbow pain? Could there be a shoulder problem ito recoil absorpsion that shows up in the elbow (reference pain they call it...) Has anyone experienced/heard of the same problem? The shoulder is still unbruised as before but the left elbow ache's and I cannot lift anything with my left arm without experiencing discomfort (degree depends on weight I am lifting..)

Any comments?

B3
    Hi B3

I know this is a long shot but did you ever consider maybe any hart problems. When we built our .577 N.E we were warned by a brithis gun maker to increase the rifles wight because the .577 was know to knock out the Rhythm of the pacemaker. I know there is a huge diff between a 375 and a 577 but the symptoms sounds irregular.

Regards

Ralph

Avoid shooting heavy recoil calibers from the bench. Shoot standing up, with shooting sticks.

It may not be so manly, but it saves on wear and tear.

B3, Sorry to hear about your pains.
    The "elbow" actually consist of quite a few different parts.
    If you are standing with your arms hanging by your side and the hand palms facing forward: Medial epicondyle is the bony protrusion closest to your body .
    Lateral epicondyle - the bony protrusion away from your body. Olecranon process is the part at the back of the elbow.
    Then there are the three joints inside the elbow:radio-humeral, ulno-humeral,
    and the small joint between radius head and ulna.

Lateral epicondyle is where you get "tennis elbow", medial epicondyle - "golfers elbow." Olecranon process - "student's elbow" .
    (I have seen numerous "tennis elbows", not one caused by playing tennis!)
    They are often caused by using vibrating machinery, such as angle grinders.

My guess is that you have either a golfer's elbow or a student's elbow from rubbing on the bench.

BUT: my veterinary colleague always warns about "KRAALMUURDIAGNOSES'

Willie Barnard

User

There may be another possibility.
    A mate of mine was lucky\unlucky enough to get himself a 375JDJ Thompson Contender and he also found he was battling with elbow pains. Turns out the recoil was driving his elbows onto the shooting bench causing pain.
    Maybe try put a jacket or something soft under your elbow to absorb some of the downward movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast