Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default .50 Cal bolt action rifle?

Good day ladies/gents

Just for interest sake, what's the story with .50cal bolt action rifles in South Africa?
    is it possible to acquire one?
    What sort of legalities are involved?
    Have a great day......

User

You can. But I think consensus is you would need to be a collector with a theme which would include the .50. There ate Agee owners on here. Sure they will answer.

Default Re: .50 Cal bolt action rifle?

Thanks for the reply farmer-el, so for the dedicated sport shooters it would not really be an option?

User

My old boss has a 505 Gibbs that he uses for hunting, i'm not sure if he is a dedicated hunter, but he didn't have any problems getting a license. I know he is a member of SAHGCA.

User

The way I understand it the .50 is regarded as an anti-material rifle. There is nothing in the act as far as I know that says you can't licence it. Motivation here though will be a MAJOR issue. I don't really think the calibre is used for long range shooting or other sanctioned sport's shooting. You looked at maybe a .338 Lapua Magnum?

I'd motivate for long range Springbok culling.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

they are more than available, thats for sure. how you'd motivate it though is another story. Not to mention pay for it, the one from Truvelo at the last show was what, 75k? And to shoot runs at R150 per round or something nuts...

met eish ja...

I doped my scope for the man on the moon and my .308 just didn't have the range, lol. I wonder if that will fly in Pretoria..... Lol On a more serious note, I am interested in the .50 cal and would love to own one but the reason for this thread was just to hear what everyone else thought on the subject..... The .338 is a nice round from what I have heard, and from doing a bit of research and I stand to be corrected here that it is about as close as you will get to giving the .50 cal a run for its money?

unless you are really, really hell bent on getting one, i would not really venture it, i have a TRG in 338LM, and have bought a 50, i have been a collector for 15 years and have over 60 guns, my theme makes provision for this rifle and i already own a as i said a TRG-41 in 338LM, so i have worked toward this for some time, the cost is also prohibitive, the rounds are R122.50 each and the rifle, case and a NF scope etc, expect to end up on R100,000.00 after buying everything for the rifle including a press and reloading dies etc. Also Martin Hood is going to do my application, so add a couple more thousand onto the equasion for that, so in short, not just something to do on a whim.

Thanks a lot Andy, very informative reply. +1 for that. Andy I see you covered it in another thread, but what did you 338 setup set you back if you don't mind me asking? a bit of eye candy would be much appreciated.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast