Thread: CUSTOM .243 ?

Default CUSTOM .243 ?

HI GUYS, IM THINKING OF BUILDING A CUSTOM RIFLE, LOOKING AT SOMETHING THATS ACCURATE WITH LEKKE SPEED AND FLAT TRAJECTORY FOR LONGER SHOTS AT SPRINGBUCK! HOW DOES A .243 WITH A HEAVY PACNOR BARREL, MAUSER ACTION AND SINTHETIC STOCK SOUND? HAVENT MADE A FINAL DECISION YET, LOOKING FOR SOME COMMENTS, IDEAS, ADVICE????

User

Default Re: CUSTOM .243 ?

Sounds good to me, but you must decide what grain bullet you want to shoot and get your barrel twist regarding your decision.

I am in the process to re-barrel my old Sako .243 and going for an 13.5 twist to shoot 70 grain bullets.

PS. beware of meat damage on Springbok do to " lekke speed"

User

Dear CG,

I have a Musgrave Vrystaat with RSA action that shoots 85gr Sierra HPBT gamekings at 3200 fps with 0,5 MOA accuracy. It is a potent combination that I have also taken massive Blesbuck with. I recommend this little bullet highly and urge you to build your 243 asap - you will not be sorry.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CG
    HI GUYS, IM THINKING OF BUILDING A CUSTOM RIFLE, LOOKING AT SOMETHING THATS ACCURATE WITH LEKKE SPEED AND FLAT TRAJECTORY FOR LONGER SHOTS AT SPRINGBUCK! HOW DOES A .243 WITH A HEAVY PACNOR BARREL, MAUSER ACTION AND SINTHETIC STOCK SOUND? HAVENT MADE A FINAL DECISION YET, LOOKING FOR SOME COMMENTS, IDEAS, ADVICE????
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

User

[[/quote]WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

LOL - hpy194

User

CG,
    The 243 Win is a calibre which shoots pretty fast. It is very important to select the correct twist rate for your barrel to stabilise your chosen bullet weight/length, as mentioned earlier. Use premium bullets, otherwise you will have a lot of meat damage on body shots. If you reload the 243 is prone to forming doughnut rings at the neck/shoulder junction of the cartridge, which can lead to increased pressure and erratic shooting.
    If you have not yet decised on the calibre, why not think about the 260 Remington? It's basically the 243 cartridge with a 6,5mm bullet, which will give you a bigger variety of game to hunt. A very underrated cartridge, with great potential.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Quote Originally Posted by CG
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
    HE STILL HAS HIS EARMUFFS ON

Thanks for the usefull comments, happy0065 excuse the shouting MR. BIGT must have been the earmuffs. Thomas I have heard about the 260 remington but i already have a 30-06 so the bigger game is sorted, specificly looking for a lighter rifle shooting 75/85grain bullets.

User

Good luck with the build! Keep us informed and show pics please. A 243 with a good bullet will kill anything.

Thanks dave,going to start the build shortly,should take a couple of months but pics will follow.