Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which Pistol for first time Lady owner

Paging Skaaphaas... Tell the lady about the SD9 agtoeman ;-)

:- P

User

Quote Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
    my wife carries a glock 26 she loves it she was also new to guns at the beginning of the year
    You should be able to get a new Glock Gen 3 in that price range I think.

Second hand GLOCK 19 should be able to pick one up for about R5500 K.
    G 19 is a good balance between compact size, and good shooter!
    Training with any handgun is a must! Try and do one of big T's courses - he can be found on gunsite - is very active send him a PM.
    Can't go wrong with a GLOCK!
    You won't be sorry or look back.

User

If you phone around you will be able to get a Glock Gen 3 for between R6000 - R7000. Also, don't say that you don't want to carry because if you get into trouble, running to and opening the safe may not not be an option. You should learn to carry it and get use to carrying it and like Glock Goblin said, get some training. BigT 's training is awesome. If you cannot go to GP to attend one of his courses, contact him and ask him for info on people in your area that offers training.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    So tell me, what's wrong with the SD9 she mentioned?
    I was waiting for you to come and give her some advice on it, didn't want to step on any toes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Paging Skaaphaas... Tell the lady about the SD9 agtoeman ;-)

:- P
    The SD9 uses the same mechanics as the Glock. Striker fired (ie, no hammer), same set of internal safeties, it even field strips the same.

It is about the size of a Glock 19, but takes one round more in the magazine.

It comes standard with steel sights, the front being a proper night sight, containing a Trijicon tritium vial.

Yes, it does not have the track record of the Glock, but simply because there aren't so many of them out there. Mine has just short of two thousand flawless rounds through it (save for the light strikes I induced by putting in a lighter striker spring, don't do that with any SD gun!), but Paul here on the forum has one with many, many more rounds downrange and it is still going strong. Thus it is not just mine that came out great :)

The trigger is heavy, no doubt about that. It is not made for precision sport shooting, but as a gun that is carried with a round chambered, the trigger works as an additional "safety", especially for a novice, inexperienced or nervous shooter. Oh, and it is still lighter and shorter than a revolver's.

The age old argument about spares works in favour of the SD9, with MRST standing by their products. I know for a fact that they have a lot of spares for the SD9 specifically.

The price counts in its favour too. It is quite a bit cheaper than some of its competitors, and you should certainly not choose a secondhand gun of any kind above a new one, simply based on the prices then being the same. With a secondhand gun you'll still need to budget to replace all the springs in it as a matter of course.

It does not look as tactically cool as the Glock or the M&P, which, for some, is a very important factor. Looks should however not be part of you viewpoint.

Holster wise, it uses the same holster as the M&P series, even Geoff Carter's very gun specific holsters work with it.

My view, if you want one, you will not be sorry. It is a LOT of gun for the price, and I would have no qualms recommending it.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

R6800 for glock gen3 at Southern Arms iirc.

User

if its only for home defense use, then I think a shotgun would best serve as your primary defensive weapon, and the handgun as backup in case of the shotgun failing or you not having time to reload. A shotgun will put someone down with a lot more certainty than a handgun round

User

Thanks for all the replies.

And thanks Skaaphaas
    Our very first decision was that secondhand would be out!!! I am not worried about looks, just want something that'll do the job if (hopefully never) need be.
    After lotsa reading on the net I quite like the SD. Heavier trigger pull seeming like a good thing to me as well, being a newb and all. Seems most of the "Self Defense" pistols have a heavier trigger (from what I gather on the net)

I will most definitely go for training, suppose it is pointless to get a firearm and not know how to use it properly.

Will go and have a look at some of the pistols sometime soon, hopefully the stores in CPT carry stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    if its only for home defense use, then I think a shotgun would best serve as your primary defensive weapon, and the handgun as backup in case of the shotgun failing or you not having time to reload. A shotgun will put someone down with a lot more certainty than a handgun round
    There is a shotgun in the house, my fiance's 12g pump, but he and I decided it would be a good idea for me to get my own firearm.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast