Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Friend for LIFE!!!

Very very interesting thread indeed...

Dry fire?...is this ok with the gun?...not damaging at all??

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    Eish man!

Are you sure you wanna fall asleep with your handgun in your hand!!

Are you serious ?
    +1 Gidsie

I'm all for having my Glock at my side 24/7 but rather get one of those bedside holsters or something.
    But hey, thats just me :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by G17 View Post
    +1 Gidsie

I'm all for having my Glock at my side 24/7 but rather get one of those bedside holsters or something.
    But hey, thats just me :-)
    +1 Glock is a safe design, but it ain't that safe!

Default Re: Firearm of the Week!

Bwhahaha!!!
    Yes Gidsie, dead serious my friend, worked for me since I was 17...ironic... and I feel perfectly safe. I know it might sound weird but trust me theres gonna be no second chance to rack the slide or dig under the matress, grab around in the cubard or run to the safe
    ....but the bedside holster does sound slightly appealing.... But Ive been set of by stories of people always keeping the gun under the pillow, the problem is that the pillow is the first place the bad guys look for a gun.

Scorp, generally the dryfire is only a issue with .22 rimfire guns as the hammer falls directly on the side of the barrel or the revolver's drum. I have heard slight rumours of glock pistols's slides being punched in, but after hours of intensive dry fire. I use snap caps, their cheaper than having to replace a gun or send it to a glock smith, I load up a ful mag every Sunday morning and shot after shot I just manually rack the slide, afterwards I give my gun a "quickie" to get rid of accumilated dust etc....

Just btw Ive been sleeping with a chambered cartdidge for about 3 years now, only after I installed the siderlock system...just in case..., but before that I actually slept with a empty chamber but in a cocked state, this was an experement I was running for about a month and never had an AD

Jaaa...I don't know so much.

Putting a gun on a bedside table or bed holster shouldn't have you grabbing to find it, If you put it in the same place every night and train to grab it and get it on target then there should be no problem. But each to there own I suppose.

User

Did you get that safety thing especially to be able to sleep with the gun? There is going to be even less chance to try and find the gun after its shifted position during the night, fell on the floor, accidentally ejected the mag, etc.

User

So if you're carrying the gun with this safety jobbie what happens when you have to draw and run the gun left hand only?

Also I reckon you should need to at least make the descision to reach for the gun to stop you slotting the wife family etc whilst half asleep.

User

I reckon a bedside holster would be ace...it will be there every time...

What happens if you have a nightmare or are attacked whilst sleeping...or just generally having a bad night and the gun gets lost under the covers...disaster!

I know from personal experience that if something woke you up...you go from zero to 'whammo' in a very short time thanks to adrenaline...no ways you're half asleep... less chance of slotting your fam. by being half asleep, but more chance of shooting them by being jittery maybe?

What is the drill for a night attack scenario, call out to family members to establish the situation, get them to lock doors, find out who knows whats up as well as warn attackers of intent to defend with max. prejudice!???

Surely one hits the alarm button asap?

Of course you should 'train' this way too... be woken up randomly... not sure about that 1 tho?

I know from personal experience that if something woke you up...you go from zero to 'whammo' in a very short time thanks to adrenaline...no ways you're half asleep...
    Scorp I definately agree. A for tactics for scenarios mentioned, very important to discus and practice the drills on a regular basis with all members of the household, each person is allocatd a sector of the house in order to ensure that no one is caught in the crossfire.
    Another thing to considder is your situation, and how you are known as to considder what tactics to use against possible different attack tactics. For example in our community say easily for at least 20km radius we are known for having firearms and being practised so what type of attack will be used? Most probibly large numbers very rapidly, therefor we have no time to waste.

I always wake up at the slightest sound. A couple of days ago I had a very interesting experience, I was sound asleep when somewhere in the house a shirt slipped off a wooden hanger causing it to fall making a clear and definate sound. My brain imediately responded, I was instantaneously awake and even knew where the sound originated. I immediately reacted and did a sweep of the house then coming to where the sound originated.

Im a very light sleeper and personaly I believe the key to a allert and consious state of mind is to maintain a state of excelent physical fitness. Does anyone have an interesting article of a study or something like that to add? Im quite intrested in the actual benefits of fitness to the shooter......

Shooter, no I actually saw an advert in the magnum and after doing some research considdering the pros and cons I got it and only then did I feel comfortable enough with my firearm to actually sleep with it.

Big T, thats an interesting thought you had, I went and had a look at it, if the inhibited state is longterm then converting the pin to work from the opposite side takes about 10min so basicly its ambidextrous. But in the short term the pin is no bother to use the safety it just means that the grip has to be shifted each time, in which case I would leave it on fire permanently.

User

Very interesting read.

+1 on the physical fitness, so strongly linked to mental fitness...has got to enhance your situational awareness, decision making and general positivity.

I find having dogs helps very much, especially small dog big dog combo...small ones tend to be much more alert and wake the big one (Jack Russel, Boerebul, whole lifestyle change though)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast