Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Q20 and guns

Default Q20 and guns

Read another thread on another forum a while ago that states that penetrating oil such as Q20 is not a good enough lubricant for especially hand gun parts. I use it to clean the firing pin in the slide when I'm too lazy to fully strip the slide. Its cheap, so you can spray all the crap out of the slide. Shake dry and wipe.

Any views on this?

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Re: Q20 and guns

I used it for a bit, but then got Ballistol and haven't really bothered with anything else since then..??

Nothing went wrong, IMO. ???
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

I also havent had any problems. Just wondering of someone knows something we dont...

You had better not be doing that with your 17.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I have also heard this issue regarding Q20 and similar products but also do not know why. However concerning the issue of cleaning a firing pin with oil does not sound right to me. I have always been taught that the firing pin area should be clean and oil free... Yes, you say that you shake and dry, but I think that this will not be sufficient to get all the oil out...........

While in the subject of 'shake and dry'.....never mind..... hpy71

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Nope. Easy to strip the slide, but the USP is a bit more of a challenge. Dont do it every time, just about after every 1000 rounds or so.

Why not with the 17?

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    I have also heard this issue regarding Q20 and similar products but also do not know why. However concerning the issue of cleaning a firing pin with oil does not sound right to me. I have always been taught that the firing pin area should be clean and oil free... Yes, you say that you shake and dry, but I think that this will not be sufficient to get all the oil out...........

While in the subject of 'shake and dry'.....never mind..... hpy71
    I believe the firing pin, spring and cavity should be oiled. Only lightly, but definitely oiled. Its metal parts and it will rust if not treated properly, just like the rest of the gun. Unless its a glock - stainless parts.

Yes, I agree with those parts being 'oiled' but to the extend to being wiped with a lightly oiled cloth in order to have only a very thin protective layer on it. I have the same problem with my Vektor SP1 regarding stripping, it is a PITA. The Glock system in this regard just works so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Nope. Easy to strip the slide, but the USP is a bit more of a challenge. Dont do it every time, just about after every 1000 rounds or so.

Why not with the 17?
    Oil attracts dirt. Dirt induces light strike. Light strike induces death or match loss.

Ive also heard that the oil can have some or other hydraulic effect similar to a shock absorber in the striker channel because of the way the spring cups fit so snugly into the channel liner also causing light strikes.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Also note that I usually "spray" my firing pin clean close to a shoot. After the first couple of rounds, that bad boy is drained of all excess oil. Also, a can of compressed air is handy to blow out any aditional oil.

I'm not worried about excess oil so much, I was more concerned about the effects of penetrating oil on firearm finish, plastic parts, etc.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast