Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default what fixed blade for R2k

I have about R2k which I have dedicated towards a fixed blade. I am torn between an approximately 4" inch fixed blade to be carried either appendix or small of back, or a larger fixed blade for home defense.

What can u guys suggest within this price bracket? What's new on the market?

User

Default Re: what fixed blade for R2k

for home defense go to any hardware store and buy a lasher machete or corn knife for around R60. I took an angle grinder and reshaped the tip of the machete to make it more stabby. You might also want to add some kind of wrapping to the poly handle, like some of the tape used on sports equipment.

Another good option is something like the cold steel short handled assegai (buy just the head- you have to fit the handle it comes with yourself anyway and its not worth the extra R180 or so for the shaft)

If I had 2K to drop on a carry blade, I would probably go for the Crucible FX2 from Blackhawk (sharpedge has them for R 1850) but that's cos I am a Kelly McCann groupie :P

User

A fixed blade knife suggestion:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--SOG-Rec...de-Knife--8478
    or
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-St...on-Tanto--4742

Browse through their catalog, you´ll find sure a knife you fall in love with.

User

Fox1, those are both great knives but a little big for appendix EDC methinks

2K....go to a local maker and get something extraordinary.

You can visit the Knife Makers Guild Show tomorrow or Saturday and have a look at some amazing things!

User

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    2K....go to a local maker and get something extraordinary.

You can visit the Knife Makers Guild Show tomorrow or Saturday and have a look at some amazing things!
    I couldn't open the picture on your other post from my phone. Please post the details on that thread

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Fox1, those are both great knives but a little big for appendix EDC methinks
    Sorry, I was responding to your
    or a larger fixed blade for home defense
    Can you please explain what you mean with "appendix EDC"? TIA
    How about some decent folders for EDC?

LR you should have asked me this question when you saw me yesterday morning as I could have shown you my KaBar TDI in its appendix carry setup. I appendix carry the TDI just to the left of my belt buckle with the knife handle parallel to the belt and laying just above the buckle. Very fast to access and conceals easily with a slight fold of the shirt. I will upload a pic for you in a bit.

User

Appendix carry, also known as groin line carry- about halfway between your hip and centreline, the natural crease when you lift your leg. Great for retention, control, and fast access since it is within the anatomical work zone. I am not a fan of small of back carry as you need to move your arm all the way to the back, access, and come all the way forward. a BG may also sneak up behind you and take your own weapon. another concern I have read about with SoB and a firearm is that if you fall it can cause spine damage.

for EDC I prefer fixed blades over folders, as under stress and adrenal dump or body alarm response, fine and complex motor skills suffer badly. A fixed blade is grab n stab, no finicky fuss, and much faster. Done the live blade exercise with targets and the guys with fixed blades always beat the guys with folders on the draw.

Below is the TDI in its standard sheath that I modified a bit to remove excess bits. I attached an extra Kydex clip I had left over from one of my Carter holsters. I have been wearing this setup for a few weeks and it is quite comfortable and easy to deploy. I am also using this setup for combative training and it works very well. For combatives I made myself a trainer from some scrap I had lying around in the garage and it actually came out surprisingly well. The second picture shows the trainer and TDI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast