Thread: Irish Terrier

User

Default Irish Terrier

I posted a topic on Jagdterriers a while ago.

Since getting hold of one seems to be a problem if import is not an option. I then started looking at other Terriers (JRT excluded)

I have hunted with a PH that had an Irish Terrier before and started looking at the breed more closely.

I see people use them for retrieving as well as general hunting.

Have any of you come across working Irish Terrier breeders in SA?

User

Default Re: Irish Terrier

This breed´s original role was to work as watchdogs, never they were used for hunting. They didn´t have and even nowydays don´t have a working examen like other hunting dogs e.g. Deutscher Jagdtterrier.

We don´t use dogs for pig hunts here, its not allowed based on our Protection of Animals Act which says that hunting methodes which provides fear for the game, and thats sure when a pack of dogs is chasing a pig, aren´t allowed.

Why not choose breeds like Slovensky Kopov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovensk%C3%BD_kopov), Welsh Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Terrier#Temperament), Parson Russel Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parson_Russell_Terrier) for pig hunting or even better get an German Wirehaired Pointer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wirehaired_Pointer) they perform well on pigs, retrieve and scent.

User

PS.: Read a few minutes ago in my hunting almanac that the work of the Welsh Terrier is equal with that of the Dt. Jagdterrier when he came from a consequent working line. Major difference is that the WT has a settled character.
    Maybe a option for you, Shaker?

User

Thx for the feedback, looking at the pictures of the hunts it looks more like a Welsh than Irish Terrier so I could have confused the two.

Interesting other options...

I dont' know much about the Welsh but did some reading and yapping and digging seems to be "added benefits" of the breed.

I've only had terriers so understand their temperaments. Is the German Wirehaired different from the GSP from a temperament working perspective?

Depending on what you want the dog to do in terms of your hunting, I can't understand why one would want to re-invent the wheel. SA has some great breeds with good genetics for hunting purposes, I would say that Irish Terriers are not one of those.

If you are hell bent on a Terrier. You could do a lot worse that getting a good Foxy from some kind farmer. There are a good few to choose from, and a lot of people use them and swear by them.

Not a lot of great Wirehair blood in SA, but there are some superb Shorthairs to select from. Like I said though, what are your needs. Ridgebacks are also not to be scoffed at in terms of hunting ability.

User

@Springer, Some background info might help.
    The dog will be a pet and hunting companion.
    I have two young kids and medium sized yard.

I do hunting, and wingshooting.

The dog will always accompany me on pigeon shoots and where allowed on hunts.
    From a hunting perspective it will be scent/blood trails if required.

I have not seen any Terriers with retrieve work, but have seen a few on blood.
    So basically the dog should be able to hunt(track) and retrieve.
    And preferably a Medium sized dog.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel just trying to see what is out there from a working perspective as I am new to the scene. :)

Shaker, thanks for that. If you're going to do a bit of both, you should seriously look at a GSP. Should more than adequately fulfil your needs, and we have some wonderful working stock in SA.

User

@Springer, Your PM quota seems to be full, tried to send you PM

I any case, any ideas who I can contact to chat re the breed and maybe see them in action.

Regards

Just deleted messages. Try again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
    [...] Is the German Wirehaired different from the GSP from a temperament working perspective?
    Yes, this breed is fierce on game like pigs but not blindfold. Also they are though (to be a survivor). They are very versatile: excellent pointing in the field, flushing in forests and at the water, and he works well as retriever, good work on scent.
    Another advantage is their child-friendly and bounding to the hunters family.

Note that I never owned/mantained a dog of this breed but my brother-in-law did (they are mostly found in hands of forest officials or PH [PH aren´t many in Austria, based that hunting is regulated by hunting coops]).

Here in my area the most used hunting dog is the GSP. But we have mostly small game and a hot clima thorugh the summer (up to 38-39°C): hares, rabbits, pheasants, ducks, geese, fox. Roe deer, red deer, wild boar is one shooting just seldom throughout the year, especially boar and red deer.
    So the use of the GSP is mostly just to point and to retrieve.