User

Default Scope creep on air rifle. What to do?

I recently bought a fairly humble Diana Panther 21 air rifle basically to have some fun in the backyard - keep my eye sharp for the hunting season and solve some foreign specie bird 'problem'. I bought this BSA 4x32 scope with it, along with some BSA mounts.

But when I sighted it in today I noticed the scope's bases are 'creeping' towards the rear because of the recoil.

What now? Bases cannot be tightened further.

Should I have gunsmith sort it out with a more sturdy solution?

Photo shows mounts and grooved rail on rifle.

Default Re: Scope creep on air rifle. What to do?

this is a typical problem on spring guns. The best solution if you're intent on keeping the scope on is to buy a 1 piece Weihrauch or similar scope mount. These mounts are built super strong and tough.

make sure that your scope is also rated for spring air gun use or it won't last very long.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

jacko,

check my profile for mail addie; I know a guy that specializes in air rifles that might be able to help you with this.

Cheers
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Hey had the same problem with my gamo, scope kept sliding back, the first set of ring i tightened so much that i stripped the threads on the one ring. I then bought another set of like hawk match mounts from Kreature for R90. Put the new rings on, i then took the good ring which still had threads from the old pair, i cut the semi circular seating off it so all that was left was a solid block base. I glued a tiny rubber pad on it and set directly behind the front ring on the rifle. Since adding the new rings and placing that extra back stop ring base the scope hasnt moved for 2 years now. I am sure they are better ways out there, such as buying a one piece mount but some of these do require drilling a small hole in the rifle to drop a pin to prevent it sliding, many new gamos come standard with this feature. Have a chat with a gunsmith they will definately be able to give you the best advice.

User

Guys thanks a lot - I solved the problem.

I bought a single mount at Rosenthals today. The mount has an additional vertical securing screw with a cone-shaped tip. It is located inside one of the 'rings'. So I fastened mount, screwed securing screw in until it made a little mark on receiver. Removed mount, tapped with a punch and then caaaaarefully drilled a 2mm hole about 1.5 mm deep. Replaced mount and tightened securing screw into little indent I made in receiver.

Reassembled everything and after 50 shots it hasn't moved a nanometer. Whoohoo!

Just zeroed it. I put 5-shot groups in 3 - 4cm groups at 15m which, for a entry level air rifle at least, is good enough for me.

I'm going to sort out these funny black birds that resemble Indian Mynahs (but they're slightly smaller). Twice they got into house via chimney, shitting the whole house full. I have closed chimney with chicken wire, but I have to restore our honour. ;D

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

happy0065 lv29
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Today is The Day of the Jacko(l).

Two shots, two Mynahs less.

Sitting inside, curtains sliiiiighly open. No backlighting. One shot was on a rooftop across the road. At least 25m. Hoohah!

Plus, I'm "getting my eye in" for next week's hunt in Nam. ;D

The photo shows the much beefier one-piece mount. The white line indicates the position of the securing screw inside the mount.

User

i had the same problem whith a hatsan i owned. That thing even kicked the scope turent clean off. I replaced the mount whith a thor 1 pice steel mount,that didn't even work so i sold the thing and bought a gamo cfx. I stil use that same thor mount and it works great,the trick there must be a vertical screw or stud that keeps it in place. I am going to have a gasram an new trigger fitted. My longest kill was 70m whith the 8.9gr boxer. Where i stay you are lucky if you can get whith in 60m of a mina. There are only 2 left,looking forward to "hunting" them when i get home someday. Mina's are chalenging "game" on my plot. It is zeroed at 30m and i use a 2-7 by 32 airking. That puts the 1st dot on at 40m,2nd at 50,3de at 60 and then the botem part of the post at 75m.