Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default SHTF and Doomsday scenarios

Is it just me, or are some forums (OK, Glocktalk) increasing the OMG-the-world-is-ending-gather-the-tuna-and-hoard-the-ammo threads?
    I’m a relatively new member, but it seems that every third thread there contains advice on how to store water and where to hide your ammo and guns from whomever.
    Do they know something I don’t? Maybe because it's close to their elections. I’m paranoid enough already.

User

The world is pretty bad shape. The whole world thinks the fuse is near the boom.
    Those who wanna live in peace should prepare for war sums it up nicely.

User

Preperation for shtf/za/sociatal collapse is more and more becoming an interesting hobby that is shared by many online. Few preppers are properly serious... I think for many it goes as follows...

World of warcraft and related fantasy entertainment is exhausted

End of the world movies are fanatically watched to fill the void

A new fantasy world in which they are one man armys capable of wilderness survival and unbelievable feats of military prowess emerges.

They share this fantasy with their interweb buddies...

This type of person can be identified by their desire to stock up on unreasonably large ammounts of ammo(reasonable ammounts are those less than 30000 rounds per calibre;) and the fact that their 72 hour bugout bags must have provision for 1000 rounds at least... Less focus is placed on sustainable subsistence farming and the ability to treat common medical conditions etc. Its all about the glory:)

Now i myself am guilty of more than a little internet prepper type behaviour, but i can occasionally take a step back and see i am being a tad silly... :)

User

Default Re: SHTF and Doomsday scenarios

the "have it and not need it" idea goes well beyond just a firearm for SD.

Indicators are strong for a dollar collapse that will have worldwide repercussions. Closer to home we have all the striker unrest, growing unease over lack of service delivery and corruption, and the ANC trying to tighten its grip as it loses power. These are high probability events (some might say "when" not "ifs")

then there are other possible but perhaps low probability events that would have huge impact such as a solar flare or EMP attack (though EMP would be more likely against the US and probably not SA)

Another growing concern for me is the Chinese presence on the continent as they become a dominant global force and want Africa's vast natural resources.

Nothing wrong with keeping a deep larder. Buy in bulk when things are on special. Store what you eat, eat what you store.

AND the Americans has an upcoming election in a month!! As soon as that is over and they are happy with the result, or see that the person in power does not want to take away everything they have, it will get better

User

AND food security is going to become an issue, already the US is hit by the worst drought in decades and they are one of the biggest maize producers in the world, we are already being warned of higher food costs, maize has a knock on effect in everything, the way farmers are being attacked and leaving farming in SA is going to add to the issue. Lesotho is going to produce 77% less maize this year.

The transporter strike is intensifying in SA, Eskom only has about a weeks worth of coal reserves without being replenished. I think it is a good idea to have a little back up of certain items, not a bunker full of food. I think Hollywood has also added to peoples paranoia.

User

TIA boys... always be prepared!!Africa can change overnight! We have seen it everywhere...no need for paranoia but a few gas bottles and 20l parafin ie: Make sure your "camping gear" is ready to roll with enough spares tokeep you going for a month or so. Dont forget a couple of liters of Jik , never know where you might be drinking water from......Cant wait!!...

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    the "have it and not need it" idea goes well beyond just a firearm for SD.

Indicators are strong for a dollar collapse that will have worldwide repercussions. Closer to home we have all the striker unrest, growing unease over lack of service delivery and corruption, and the ANC trying to tighten its grip as it loses power. These are high probability events (some might say "when" not "ifs")

then there are other possible but perhaps low probability events that would have huge impact such as a solar flare or EMP attack (though EMP would be more likely against the US and probably not SA)

Another growing concern for me is the Chinese presence on the continent as they become a dominant global force and want Africa's vast natural resources.

Nothing wrong with keeping a deep larder. Buy in bulk when things are on special. Store what you eat, eat what you store.
    Sorry but I don't see how the ANC is losing power? I agree that they are perhaps becoming less powerfull ie losing votes but they are still by very far the strongest party and will be in power for some time to come. (Assuming there is no revolution so large that it overthrows the government. Although this is getting more likely, it is still extremely unlikely.Which means the ANC just keeps on winning elections.

User

my point was that the ANC situation is a cause of unrest, and best be prepared for it, or any disruption from whatever cause. Look after the basics of shelter, food, water, energy, defense and medical needs.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    my point was that the ANC situation is a cause of unrest, and best be prepared for it, or any disruption from whatever cause. Look after the basics of shelter, food, water, energy, defense and medical needs.
    True that!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast