Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Poms get it wrong... again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/02/shoots-burglars-melton-mowbray?newsfeed=true

Homeowner shoots suspected burglars in Leicestershire

Couple arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm after break-in in early hours of Sunday morning

Sunday 2 September 2012 18.41 BST

A homeowner has been arrested after he shot two suspected burglars at his remote house in Leicestershire. The 35-year-old and his wife, 43, were disturbed by the break-in in the Welby area, near Melton Mowbray, in the early hours of Sunday.

It is understood he took a legally owned shotgun and shot two of the four intruders before calling police. He and his wife were arrested in Melton on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. Neither had been injured.

A spokeswoman for Leicestershire police said that shortly after the force received the couple's call, at about 12.30am, an ambulance was called to treat a man with shotgun injuries.

It is understood that second call was made by one of the suspected burglars. Later, a second man was treated for shotgun injuries after presenting himself at Leicester Royal Infirmary.

Their injuries are not life threatening, police said.

The two men, along with two others, were all arrested at the hospital on suspicion of aggravated burglary.

Leicestershire police said: "Police were called at 12.26am this morning by a man reporting a group of men had broken into his home in Melton.

"The man stated that during the course of the incident he had fired a legally held shotgun and the intruders had left the scene.

"Around five minutes later the ambulance service called to tell us they had been called to a man with injuries consistent with shotgun injuries.

"A second man presented at Leicester Royal Infirmary with similar injuries. Neither injuries are life threatening.

"Investigations have begun into both reports and six people, five men and one woman, have been arrested.

"A 35-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman were arrested in Melton on suspicion of GBH and four men aged 27, 23, 31 and 33 were arrested at Leicester Royal Infirmary on suspicion of aggravated burglary.

"Inquiries are ongoing and there is very little else we can add at this time."
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Default Re: Poms get it wrong... again.

What the hell is the world coming to? First world country my ass, I'll take this third world country over that crap any time...

Wot, no LG?

User

I don't understand the world anymore.

User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19507678

Welby farm shooting couple Andy and Tracey Ferrie 'humbled'

Andy and Tracey Ferrie said the past few days had been "difficult beyond belief"
    Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

A couple who used a gun to defend themselves during a burglary at their farm say they are "grateful and humbled" by support they have received.
    Andy and Tracey Ferrie, from Welby, Leicestershire, said the past few days had been "difficult beyond belief".
    The decision not to press charges against them was welcomed by their MP.
    Rutland and Melton MP Alan Duncan said he was delighted the Crown Prosecution Service had decided not take criminal action against Mr and Mrs Ferrie.
    Mr Ferrie, 35, and his 43-year-old wife were woken late on Saturday night by banging and the sound of breaking glass.
    Police were called to the house at 00:26 BST on Sunday. Mr Ferrie told them he had fired at the group who had then left.
    The couple were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm after the legally-owned shotgun was fired.
    Mr Duncan said the real crime would have been if the couple were prosecuted for defending their home.
    After the announcement, he said: "I stuck my neck out in defence of my constituents on Monday.
    "I'm delighted the CPS has seen sense and has exonerated them. The law has worked and so has the system.
    "The focus must be on the burglars and not the victims. My constituents can hold their heads high."
    Neighbours such as Mr Dallas have been very supportive of the couple's actions
    Local resident William Dallas said he was pleased the couple would not face any action.
    He said: You can't break into folks' houses, especially in the wilds, in the middle of the night. You're just asking for it."
    Two men have appeared at Loughborough Magistrates' Court charged with burglary.
    Daniel Mansell, 33, from Leicester, pleaded guilty to the offence on Wednesday and was remanded in custody to be sentenced at Leicester Crown Court on 25 September.
    Joshua O'Gorman, 27, who is also charged with burglary, gave no plea and was remanded in custody to reappear before magistrates on 14 September.

User

Great news!

User

What? Sanity actually prevailed in a 1st world country for once... I'm utterly gobsmacked! Three cheers for the crown I guess :)

User

Thanks Lance - good news!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Good ending!

In my opinion they should never have been arrested in the first place. Will this set a new precedent as to how similar incidents will be handled in the future? I do hope so!

User

hopefully it an be used as a precedent for defending yourself.
    i wonder what the outcome wouldve been if he had killed one of the intruders...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast