Default Questions on the Beretta A300

My father just picked one of these up, so was a little interested in their background.

Firstly, what they like, any good, if not, what problems would I encounter?

Secondly, were they ever used by any military or police organisations anywhere?

Not quite sure on the in's and out's on this one regarding barrel length and chokes etc, but it's pretty plain with a decent walnut stock.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Questions on the Beretta A300

The only problem I've ever had with my A300 is not enough ammo fighting0002

I'm not too sure that they had any military or Law Enforcement history because of their low capacity 3+1.
    They are super reliable with all types/weights of ammo and I use mine extensively for wingshooting and because of its low felt recoil its a great gun to teach folk about shotguns. My friends who have them all say that if they're only allowed one SG the A300 is what they'll keep.
    What breaks???? Uhhmmmm nothing yet!

I got mine from old Rand Water Board stock, that was sold off in the late 1990's. It had obviously been used a lot as the stock is not very pretty. The rubber recoil pad was pretty worn then. So I surmise it had been carried & handled quiet a lot.

I got it in 1998 & reckon I have used it much for sport & bird shooting & have never had a problem. Nothings ever broken & I cannot recall a jam/malfunction.

The capacity is limited but you can learn to reload very fast from a cartridge belt.
    Think I paid R1500

I am applying for a licence shorter barrel with a full choke.
    Should be a lot more 'wield y' then. ;D
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Thanks for the info guys, looks like they pretty solid then, touch wood on that AP!

I heard a rumour that they were issued or sold cheaply to certain persons in the then Rhodesia and was led to believe that this is where the one my father now owns comes from. Don't have any further details on this and was wondering if this occurred. I'm not quite sure who these certain persons were either, police, military, farmers, etc.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    My father just picked one of these up, so was a little interested in their background.

Firstly, what they like, any good, if not, what problems would I encounter?

Secondly, were they ever used by any military or police organisations anywhere?

Not quite sure on the in's and out's on this one regarding barrel length and chokes etc, but it's pretty plain with a decent walnut stock.

Yes the capacity is a problem.
    Yes we were issued with them at the SAPS Riot Unit in 1986 and 1987 with the then ageing Browning. The Stock (wood) could not take abuse and was replaced with an injected moulded stock.
    The mechanism is very reliable. The A300 is relatively soft shooting.
    It definitely has a place and can be picked up for about R500.00 and up to R1500.00 depending on the condition.
    The A310 had some form of engraving on the receiver and was fitted with a Gold trigger.The A310 had a ribbed barrel.

User

In that case, I want one. I can get an A300 for between R2000-R2500 at the local dealers (with minor scratches on the stocks). I'm still looking. :o if I can find something decent at a good price, I can easily ask my local gunsmith to keep it for me at a small fee (bottle of brandy?). If someone wants to give away an A310 with synthetic stock, I will gladly take it off your hands. grn1 I know, I know, I'll post my ad in 'Wanted'. Just a few more questions before I do.

1) Firstly, the local dealers look at me strangely when I ask them about chokes / barrels for these shotguns. Can one get them at all? Where? Price?

2) The limited capacity is also worrying me a bit. Can one extend the tube (legally)?

3) I am a registered dedicated hunter. Do you recon I'll stand a good chance of getting a licence for it? (If this question has been answered on another thread, kindly point me to it).

4) I guess a Remington 870 with extended tube would also be nice? (Looks like the price could be comparable.) Pros / cons? Which would you recommend?

I know the next question will be: "What do you want to use it for?" Well, as much as possible I guess; I'll find out exactly once I have it. I would definitely like to hunt with it, maybe do some three gun shooting later on. Home defence also, yes, if it ever comes to that.

1) Firstly, the local dealers look at me strangely when I ask them about chokes / barrels for these shotguns. Can one get them at all? Where? Price?

My barrel is a full choke. I do not think gunsmiths should have trouble fitting adjustable chokes. Alternatively get another barrel with a different choke.

2) The limited capacity is also worrying me a bit. Can one extend the tube (legally)?
    No, cant extend the mag tube because of the location of the gas port & piston below the barrel. You can learn to reload real fast & thus get more value for your shooting time ;D.
    If you are bird shooting you only load 2up anyway.

3) I am a registered dedicated hunter. Do you recon I'll stand a good chance of getting a licence for it? (If this question has been answered on another thread, kindly point me to it).

That's how I got mine. sport/hunt/collect etc

4) I guess a Remington 870 with extended tube would also be nice? (Looks like the price could be comparable.) Pros / cons? Which would you recommend?

Franchi also seem to be good

Biggest problem I've with pump/semi-autos is that even when unloaded & bolt is held open this is not visible to others on the range or hunt. Thus whereas other guns are 'broken' to visually id the status of such type of gun is difficult.
    Myself I stuff a hanky into the bolt, think it is good manners.

;D
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762
    Biggest problem I've with pump/semi-autos is that even when unloaded & bolt is held open this is not visible to others on the range or hunt. Thus whereas other guns are 'broken' to visually id the status of such type of gun is difficult.
    Myself I stuff a hanky into the bolt, think it is good manners.

;D
    confused0083 You are making a very good point, thank you for the advice! It's just something I will learn to live with.

User

I saw a couple of A300 and A301s up in Pretoria this week. Seems your gunshops are much more expensive on these with prices more in the direction of R5000. The A301 looks like a good rifle, much nicer than the A300 and well worth the trouble if one can get hold of one it seems.

If it were R500, I would have taken it straight away. At the price of R5000 it seems too much of a compromise and no longer worth it for me.

I saw a brand new Remington semi with synthetic stock, all the chokes included and extendible tube (according to the dealer). This will be more multi purpose I think, but at R9000 it seems a long way off from the R1000 I was hoping to spend. I am still left undecided. confused0083

User

The A301 I shoot with often has been 100% reliable in all aspects. I particularly like putting four shots downrange quickly with a shotgun :D Easy to fieldstrip and put back together.