Default Murder - West Coast (Veldrift)

Unfortunately, News24 reporting is getting pretty useless, so no much fact with the story, but another unnecessary murder hits the press.

Cape Town - The family of a murdered Cape Town investment manager is in deep shock after learning of his death at his West Coast holiday home during a robbery.

Alexander Otten, 53, was found with his hands and feet tied and a plastic bag over his head, reported the Cape Times.

Otten’s wife, Jo, and two children were said to be in a state of shock.

“[Though] very traumatic for the whole family, we are a big family and are pulling together,” said Otten’s brother, Theo.

He said his brother had gone to his holiday home to do maintenance and repair work.

The house was one of four luxury units on a farm and game lodge near Velddrif, all fitted with security alarms.

“Jo had tried to speak to him a few times, but his phone was off, which was very unusual.”

“What has happened is shocking and horrible. Theo was a very honourable and just man. He was an absolute gentleman and his friends loved him,” Otten said.

The farm owner’s daughter, Elaine Venter, said: “This is a big shock to the family and to all our visitors that come here to relax. This is the first time this has happened.

“Our visitors come here thinking that they have left the crime and hustle and bustle of the city behind, but now one person comes here and he gets murdered. This is totally unacceptable.”

“This is private land and here you do not expect anything like this to happen. We won’t have any peace in this little community now.”
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...urder-20121024

User

Default Re: Murder - West Coast (Veldrift)

Again with the attitude that the victim was honourable, just and a gentleman.

User

i know its a sad thing to happen to anyone, RIP to the gentleman. but i think people need to stop being in denial and doing something about their own safety. i don't buy the whole "this is a shock its never happened here before" we all know that farm attacks are at their highest. the onus is on us civilians to protect ourselves. i mean ffs i live in a gated estate with 24 hour security and yet i still carry 24/7

User

well, in a lot of these cases if not most, the victims are like this man is described by his brother. the thugs go for ''gentle'' targets more frequent than hardened bad asses who may give them a whipping if they tried. suppose his family knows him better than we do so i'll take their word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KSK View Post
    i know its a sad thing to happen to anyone, RIP to the gentleman. but i think people need to stop being in denial and doing something about their own safety. i don't buy the whole "this is a shock its never happened here before" we all know that farm attacks are at their highest. the onus is on us civilians to protect ourselves. i mean ffs i live in a gated estate with 24 hour security and yet i still carry 24/7
    KSK. I share your frustration and attitude, but where in the article does it say he was not armed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    KSK. I share your frustration and attitude, but where in the article does it say he was not armed?
    Springer you make a valid point, nowhere in the article does it state he was not armed, i guess one just generally assumes that he was not armed, but knowing the media if he was the family would have mentioned it and GFSA would be all over this like flies on sh!t and my gut tells me he was a sheep.