Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Customs: Importation / exportation

Drop a mail if you require information or assisstance with respect to the Customs procedures iro importation and exportation of fire arms & ammo.

User

Default Re: Customs: Importation / exportation

interesting topic.

Can you outline what's required if a US citizen, immigrating to South Africa (hasn't yet received what ever paperwork he needs for residency) wishes to import his handgun/s?

User

1st off, get a very good clearing agent.

The following documents will be required:

Proof of ownership and value
    SAPS import permit, a temporary import permit will suffice.
    ITAC import permit - for info try www.itac.org.za
    NRCS letter of authority - for info try www.nrcs.org.za

Once you have the required docs you can import the fire-arms, your agent willon importation make entry of the fire-arms with customs.
    Remeber that fire-arms can not be entered under rebate of duty. Only personal effects, household effect and vehicles may be entered under rebate of duty.

Hi,

Joined this site to seek answers to the last question asked! I will be going to SA within the next year to live in Cape Town with family and I too am an US Citizen. Do they give all clearances before you go? I have 3 handguns - a sig p226, s&w 586 and a .22 derringer. Along with 3 shotguns. I own them all legally, but wish to bring them with me too. Would it be easier to acquire through purchase inside the country (opposed to trying to pay shipping/import duties/etc), they are all common over here. Maybe it would be the same over there?

User

Sorry for late reply.

Depends if you are coming for visit or to stay permanently.

Temporary import permit is obtainable from the SAPS on arrival.
    The best would be to apply before arrival, aleviating any hassles.

If intending to import permanently you will have to declare fire-arms with customs and then apply for fire-arms licenses with the SAPS.

E-mail me if you have any other queries: gvanloggerenberg@sars.gov.za

Thank you for response. I decided to go ahead and sell locally. These guns are not one of a kind by any means. We are staying permanently. My wife is a citizen and I still have yet to file for relative permit. In June I am eligible to request permanent residence. Then however long the process, I may get an identity book. I think only then may I apply for local license. I heard it maybe expensive, but instead of blindly asking questions I'll wait till we are ready and see how to apply in the local jurisdiction.

User

Hi Kuduvark

I am a South African who emigrated to the USA some years ago. I own two handguns which are still in a safe deposit in Cape Town. I still have my old SA I.D. book with licenses for them. My application to import the guns into the USA has now been approved and I have the import permit. The guns need to be shipped to my licensed firearms dealer in the USA.

What procedure should I follow to have the guns shipped to me? What paperwork or permits are required? Can you recommend any shipping companies? I shall be on holiday in SA in January and can take care of any issues then.

Thanks for your help and advice. I have emailed you separately.

Here's some info taken from here: http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/consulate/guns.htm

Limitations

The following limitations exist on firearms per person:

- one handgun of .45 or smaller caliber
    - one single or double barrel shotgun
    - two hunting rifles

Prohibitions

Prohibitions on firearms are:

- automatic rifles and pistols or semi-automatic rifles
    - automatic or semi-automatic or pump action shotguns
    - hand carbines

A reasonable amount of ammunition per caliber is allowed. Any person importing firearms to South Africa must have proof of ownership, for example a license and export permit from the country of origin.

Note: All firearms, including airguns, require 2 import permits, one from the South African Police and the other from the Director of Import and Export Control.

Temporary Import Permit for Visitors

Foreign nationals, irrespective of their nationality, traveling with firearms into South Africa are required to report to the South African Police Services (SAPS) Firearm office immediately after clearing immigration, This office is situated before Customs in Terminal 2, at Johannesburg International Airport.

SAPS will issue the relevant temporary import permit to the owner accordingly.

It is up to the owner of the weapon to make sure what the requirements of their own country is before departing from home.

Permanent Importation (South African passport holders)

Returning South African Citizens who wish to import firearms for hunting, target practice, protection, etc., are advised to apply for an import permit six to eight weeks before their departure and address their application to:

or send a facsimile to : 011 27 (12) 353-6041

Once this permit (SAP 312) has been issued application should be made directly to:

The Director of Import and Export Control
    Department of Trade and Industry
    Private Bag X192
    Pretoria
    SOUTH AFRICA

or a facsimile sent to : 011 27 (12) 428-7799
    Telephone Number : 011 27 (12) 428-7793/7796/7786/7788
    Email : vvuuren@dti.pwv.gov.za

The following information is required

Owner's full name and address

Identity number (SA citizens only)

Passport number (Foreigners and permanent resident holders)

Type of fire-arm

Caliber of fire-arm

Manufacturer's serial number (It is illegal to import fire-arms without serial numbers stamped or engraved onto the metal)

Type of ammunition

Quantity of ammunition

Market value in Rand.

After producing the above permits the applicable import duties and VAT must be paid to Customs before the release of the firearms can be obtained.

The owner of the import permit will have to apply for the firearm license before the expiry date on the temporary permit (SAP 312) and the preceding documents (as well as proof of payment of tax) should be submitted with the application.

It is the responsibility of the passport holder to present the South African Police Service with a Certificate of Conduct (Police record) from the country of origin when he applies for a South African firearm license.

Contact the airline with which you are traveling to establish their requirements for shipping firearms and ammunition.

User

Necropost.

I have three questions regarding the temporary importation of a firearm into SA. Answers will be great, but a point in the right official direction will also be appreciated.

1. Is it all possible to bring a pistol into SA for a visit? (Like for sport and/or training?)

2. If so, is it at all possible to do so on short notice (like in a 24 hr period), or is there no way around the 8 week head start on applying for permits.
    - Is it possible to rock up at OT Airport Police desk with a firearms and get the relevant permits there?

4. I have permanent residence in Germany: Are there different rules that apply for the temporary importation of firearms for SA citizens and for other people of other nationalities?
    - If there are differences, will I be able to exploit any favorable differences based on my resident status, or is my citizenship the final determination on which rules apply to me?

I am also sending this via Email to Kuduvark. :)
    Last edited by Socrates; 03-11-2014 at 10:11. Reason: I don't read good.

Nugent,
    Using your import permit for the USA, you can now apply for an SA export permit. They need a copy of your import permit, and id. This can take a few months. Once that is granted, you can export them to the USA. Note that freighting just 2 or 3 guns will be very expensive, and unless they have sentimental value or are really unique, will probably be more than you can buy the equivalent guns there for.

DSG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast