User

Default SAPS Firearms licencing roadshow - Silencers

Last week I attended the local SAPS Firearms licencing roadshow "Imbizo" - a meeting between the representatives of CFR, police officers (DFO's etc) and the public. The meeting was led by the head of the Limpopo/Mpumalanga office at CFR, Col Sindane. Several issues were discussed and some positive feedback was received. Two matters however stood out:
    1. After a lengthy (and confusing) explanation of how the duration of new competencies are determined, I showed the Col. my fresh (6-2012) competency certificate. He could not tell me when it would expire!!! Nor could any other member of his entourage...
    2. He mentioned, but did not elaborate, that they (CFR) are looking into regulating SILENCERS. There was no opportunity for a discussion on this subject.
    I think the thousands of silencer owners should take note.
    Maybe I should start to manufacture adaptors, that allow soft-drink bottles and automotive oil filters to be used as firearm-silencers?

Regards.

User

Default Re: SAPS Firearms licencing roadshow - Silencers

Re "silencers",as someone remarked earlier,you have to keep in mind that "they" watch too many kak movies,what they see on tv is believed to be factually accurate whether its re silencers or (american)law. Kinda like .22's are for assasinations and other such gems...

User

Moderated .375's etc have been used to poach rhino's. Might be one of the reasons?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc05 View Post
    Moderated .375's etc have been used to poach rhino's. Might be one of the reasons?
    Sure,I dont/cant dispute that,BUT if thats part of their rationale,then how many incidences realistically tho can be artributed to some sneaky-pete with a suppressor (+ very important to the central issue,shooting with subsonic ammo)?

Could it be as many as 10,20 or 50,if that many at all?This then, out of the total of slain animals?This out of a total of miserably few guys caught and/or convicted,ie proof of "evil silencers"?In terms of tools,does one actually need a moderator + rifle,or even a rifle for arguements sake to poach?Bow and arrow,crossbow,etc not equal to the task?

So it could in reality be just purely coincidental that in a few instances, a moderated rifle was used,and that still doesnt quite warrant the hysteria around the whole "silencer" thing with cfr?For now,I want to stick to my "too many kak movies" theory.. Will be interesting to eventually hear some more of the rationale behind this.

User

Those poachers are commiting several crimes already. Adding something like "illegal possesion of silencer", is not likely to make any difference. First they have to be caught, and the police are not making much progress there yet. Actually silencers are regulated already. The current FCA states that you may not posess one, unless you have a licensed firearm (my own wording) - similar to other gun parts.
    When I arrested a poacher, a while back, the policeman at the CSC (community service centre) aka "charge office", told me that there is no act prohibiting that. I promptly handed him a copy of our provincial "environmental management act" (2003). (I was prepared!) He then stated that that was an old act, and not valid anymore! Fortunately I could get hold of a detective, who had just gone off duty, that assisted me. Got a conviction and light sentence eventually. Sometimes, I think they are more interested in protecting the poachers?