Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Traning course to prepare me for real life.

Hey guys
    I've been searching the forums and have read some info on some training courses, but the threads were all pretty old so im not sure they're still relevant.
    Are there courses a person can attend where you can learn how to handle your firearm in real life situations? I'm interested in learning more then just how to shoot straight at a paper target. I guess what im looking for is a way to be prepared for actual threats that i might be presented with. For example, what to do when arriving home at night and how to react if there are signs of danger. What to do when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. What to do if someone has broken into my home.
    Basically im looking to learn how to better handle myself in a dangerous situation, and how to better be able to protect my girlfriend. I might be armed and can shoot pretty well at the range, but im sure there are trainers out there who can teach me a few "life-skills" that apply to the real world and that would allow me to be safer, and more effective should i need to be.
    You guys know of anything like that?

Im in the Jhb area.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Traning course to prepare me for real life.

live out your imagination , not your history.

User

A good start is Big T's level one or similar. Check out the East Rand Shooting Club website. That's where we train every month.

I have never been in a gunfight or a dangerous self defence scenario, but here are my thoughts. Expert comment welcomed.

The quality of any training will depend on yourself. The urgency with what you do things. I have been to training where people do the training but in the completely wrong mindset. They are slow and lethargic like they are spending a relaxing time at the range. They aren't following the 'FUUUUCK! I'M UNDER ATTACK' train of thought. And sure, slow repetition of the basics is also important training, but you have to simulate the training as closely to the real thing as possible. This is difficult with targets that don't shoot back, but a shift can be made to up the urgency and put yourself under pressure(that's how it will be). The relaxed mindset should be replaced by one of determined, controlled aggression.

You can even practise at home. What is your procedure to follow when an intruder attempts to do your family harm? What systems do you follow?

Reading is also important.

+1 wesley!

User

And for the Cape Town guys?

I suggest going on BigT's course. Ask him those questions. He answered all of mine with practical examples. Was worth it!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    And for the Cape Town guys?
    +1

Anyone? I sent a PM to Geoff Carter, but I understand he is quite busy at the moment and hasn't gotten back to me yet. I've also e-mailed the Bellville Pistol Club, but haven't received feedback there either.

Most of the Joburg based trainers will present a course in Slaapstad if you can get enough guys together to make it worth their while. I cannot speak for anyone but would guess 10 paying trainees would secure a Joburg trainer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    Most of the Joburg based trainers will present a course in Slaapstad if you can get enough guys together to make it worth their while. I cannot speak for anyone but would guess 10 paying trainees would secure a Joburg trainer.
    While a course is all fine and well, I would prefer regular training, either weekly or bi-weekly...

User

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    While a course is all fine and well, I would prefer regular training, either weekly or bi-weekly...
    IDPA and s-a-s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast