Default Can multiple shooting sports co-exist on the same range?

If we like it or not, there is friction between different shooting sports. The needs for different shooting sports differ and space on a shooting range is also not unlimited. The question is 'Can multiple shooting sports co-exist on the same range?' Can say a IDPA club and a IPSC club operate on the same range? Lets take it further : Can a Club host/manage multiple multiple shooting sports? Say you have one range, one club but two different (yet similar) shooting sports? I.E. Club ABC on range XYZ that host both IDPA and IPSC? Or are the differences just to big to do this successfully?

I make specific mention to IPSC and IDPA but there are various other combinations that you can throw into the equation...

Default Re: Can multiple shooting sports co-exist on the same range?

Hi Corne

The shooting sports are not the problem - the PEOPLE in the sports are :-)

OF COURSE they can co-exist :-)

REASONS WHY (use IDPA and IPSC as examples)
    1. They use almost identical equipment - except for targets!
    2. For a firearms enthuisiast both sports provide valuable skills
    IDPA - Street equipments and tactics
    IPSC - Speed weapon dexterity
    3. Can use on sport as a easier entry (ie IDPA uses mostly "Carry Gubs / Equipment) thereby braoding the club base

KEY PROBLEMS ARE
    1. In a small club you may have dilutation of effort and or interest
    2. People not having correct equipment to meet criteria
    3. Scheduling

Heck have a 50/50 Shoot.
    Set up 6 ranges - 3 IDPA rules 3 IPSC Rules
    That will get them cockroaches might confused!!

DT

Corne,

We have 6 different shooting sports all using our facility at FBGC and we all seem to get on very well! Most of our shooters take part in IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy action shooting, Clay target shooting and make use of the rifle range. I think that it all comes down to scheduling and having a good working relationship between the different sports.

If you have limited space and more than one sport wanting to use that space then there could be problems but as Double Tap said that is more a people problem than anything else.

To use the IDPA/IPSC example when I started IDPA shooting at our club there were a few grumbles from some IPSC people but the vast majority were very supportive. I've come to realise that those guys are few and far between but seem to have very loud voices BUT they can only make trouble if the rest of the club members allow them to.

I think that every club should host as many different sports as is possible for their facility, so that their members have the widest choice of sports to participate in. This also encourages people to join your club because they can participate in a number of activities at one place rather than going to club A to shoot IPSC and club B to shoot IDPA etc... and having to belong to both which all adds to the cost of our chosen sports!

User

Centurion Defensive Pistol Club (IDPA) has co-existed with the SAPSA club (name?) at the Eeufees Range for a number of years - SADPA/IDPA in fact started at that range.

BulM5rocks

In fact - Eeufees recently hosted a 3 Gun shoot which was shot as an NGPSA league and an IDPA 3 gun shoot !!

I think it's all about how open club members are to each other's sports - I think the IPSC types at GCity are rather anti IDPA and will find it rather difficult to co-exist with shoots on the same day as IDPA.

The "scary bald man" (whose range recently hosted the Champs) shoots both I doubt he's got problems with it. Not to sure bout Cecil Payne (Roodepoort IPSC) ...........

Interesting statistic: ISPC shooters in IDPA 2008 nationals"

1 CDP Sean O' Donovan Expert

4 CDP Sebella O' Donovan Sharpshooter

3 CDP Rod Swanepoel Marksman

1 SSP Rui Freitas Expert

4 SSP Tony Freitas Marksman

1 ESP Jan vd Berg Master

1 ESP Martin Swanepoel Expert

2 ESP J. Andre van Tonder Expert

4 ESP Linda Swanepoel Sharpshooter

1 SSR Tommy Glover Sharpshooter

Maybe this IPSC stuff is actually beneficial to IDPA shooting ?

Maybe co-operation can be beneficial to both sports - introduce those strange "hyper speed shooting" types to some strange new concepts - like "cover" and "not dropping an almost full mag on the ground" ?? confused0083

On the other hand - it could cause mass confusion - especially for Corne and Double tap hpy194

Not to mention ME !!! "damn where's the other 8 rounds I'm supposed to have in my 45" ???

BulM5rocks,

Yes I do get confused, but what confuses me more is the fact that I am unable to send you a PM as you have blocked me..?

I hope this is accidental and not intentional.... confused0083

BulM5rocks

Nope - why would I do that ? You're bigger and scarier than me hpy194

But I can run faster than u !! hpy71

This round boep might not be made for running....but it enables me to roll like a ball and then you must see me move..... hpy71