Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Necessary equipment for H&K USP Compact

Hi there all,

So I have bought my USP Compact .40 and handed in all my documentation. (About a month or 2 ago)

And I am wondering what equipment I am going to need, how much I should be looking to spend and where I should get it (local vs importing)... I plan to do some competition shooting as well as chronic amounts of practice. I have been obsessed with going to the shooting range for years (using my friends 1911). So what will I need?

- Extra magazines, I'm thinking I need at least 3 or 4 more (for a total of 6). Buying local costs about R600 per/mag. Should I even try import? From where? And can I get the magazines without the extended toe? (Is it still 12rd or 10?)

- Holsters... I'm thinking Kydex IWB. Either from Geoff or SWATG Frontline ones? I'm a small guy, 5'7" or so and about 70kg, would Kydex IWB be the best option?

- Eye and ear-wear... what brand? (does it matter?) From where? What kind of price am I looking at?

- Night sights? Where? etc

- Anything else?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Necessary equipment for H&K USP Compact

For extra mags look at the 10 rounders for range use and/or IDPA. They will work out cheaper than buying local.

http://andean-inc.com/Merchant5/merc...agazines_Clips
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/HK/index.asp

I've ordered HK mags from both companies without issue.

Look at Heinie Straight Eights for sights @ www.brownells.com

Drop Count Bla a PM and tell him to get his backside over to this thread. He can't stop rambling on about the greatness of the USP40C. ;D

Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Wow, thanks for the quick reply ;D

Thanks very much for the links too, I am going to check those out right away.

Silly question, but will our local cops kick up a fuss if I have spare mags sitting in my safe when they do the safe inspection for my license?

Will send Count Bla a PM now, hehe 8)

Spare mags, a good tactical torch, plenty of range ammo as well as some good SD JHP stuff (like the Rem. Golden Sabers in 180gr or similar) and you are GTG for the first stages of your long ride. Shoot the gun, get comfortable with it, try others sights and holsters and get a better idea of what you want coz you are still gonna spend money on gear you will stop using in a while due to finding something better...that's the nature of the bast. I definitely recommend the Heine sights but maybe niot right off the bat.

You gonna love that little pistol!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind

Drop Count Bla a PM and tell him to get his backside over to this thread. He can't stop rambling on about the greatness of the USP40C. ;D
    You summoned, satan?

Skittel, congrats on a great choice. You will not regret it. I've been carrying mine for a number of years now without malfunction or hickup of any kind, so I can definitely promote this little beast with confidence.

Yes, you'll need spare mags. I have three 12-rd mags for carry and a bunch of 10-rd for practice/IDPA. Mags are expensive here, so if you can, import some. Speak to Ikor and see if he can assist w.r.t. good dealerships that export from the states. Let me know if you get some, I might order a couple too! As far as mags are concerned, order a couple of springs from SSP too. The steel bodied mags are very durable and spring changes (although I never needed it) is very quick and easy.

I second night sights if this is your carry gun. Heinie Straight Eight Slant Pro is my first choice. Mine still needs a set too and that will probably be my next order from Brownell's come month's end.

Locally I think the best bullet for this specific gun is the 180gr Speer gold dot. I get pretty decent speeds out of the short barrel and the bullet profile feeds reliably. Then again, I have yet to find a .40 carry round (or range round) that did not feed into the USP's mouth.

Holsters is probably the most difficult thing to buy since you only find out that it doesnt work for you after purchase/use. I strongly suggest you contact Geoff Carter. He made me a IWB rig for my full sized USP. If it wasnt for the Comp-Tac that I already own, my USPc would most probably ride in one of his rigs on a dayly basis. His holsters are top notch, half the price and delivery is quick.

Also, I suggest an ankle holster. This gun is small enough to carry on the ankle. This is currently how I carry mine since its not allowed in all of my working environments. Ankle concealment is 100% IMO.

Ikor's suggestion of a torch is also very good.

Hope this helps. Buy one item every month whist you wait for your licence. By the time its issued, you are ready to rock. If it gets declined, I'll purchase most/all of your stock at a reasonable (10% of market value) price.

User

Thanks for all the help and advice guys :)

I see that I am not able to import merchandise that totals more than $100 (I need a US permit for this apparently?), so I guess I will be buying stuff in stages, yes.

Count: If my license is declined, I will jump from Table Mountain confused0068

Quote Originally Posted by skittel66
    Thanks for all the help and advice guys :)

I see that I am not able to import merchandise that totals more than $100 (I need a US permit for this apparently?), so I guess I will be buying stuff in stages, yes.

I am sitting here looking at that big rock as I write this...that is a very looooooooong jump. bru! Better to appeal I think. ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by skittel66
    Just put all of my new goodies in the mail prior to your departure... ;)

User

You can never have too many mags so get as many as is humanly possible.

A decent holster is a must Geoff makes awesome stuff and Swatties frontline stuff looks good as well. Get a couple of mag pouches as well I prefer two singles to one double.

A good single stage or turret reloading press will allow you to shoot lots which is most important.

Remember when getting carry ammo not just to get enough to fill a mag or two but also enough to shoot a few mags off and make sure it works in your gun.

Night sights are nice but I would get the reloading stuff first if it was a one or the other situation.

The torch idea ia also very important.

Then invest heavily in good training.

User

Thanks again all :)

I reckon I will start off with 6 mags and see how it goes from there.

I will definitely be getting a holster from Geoff ;D

I've been investigating torches and thought I would rather pay a bit more and get a Surefire... but then I saw the price cfd89 R3600 for the less-than-top-of-the-range model!! Wow. Best I start saving, or selling my bod.... nevermind :-\

I know SWATG is very involved in training, but he is JHB-based? Anyone know of the best place in Cape Town for some training? Otherwise I will just wait for SWATG to come to Cape Town again ;D

Ikor: Yeah an appeal would probably be wiser, but I will be soo bleak if I don't get it first time around... since I will probably still wait longer than a year from now :-\

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast