Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Biltong Drier

Default Re: Biltong Drier

Nicely done Andrew. My attempt at a Biltongdryer was made from a broken chest freezer. A few round bars here and there and a commercial cooling fan and Bob's your Uncle. It's very big and bulky but takes a lot of meat. I'll definitely make a smaller one next year.

User

I am close to the coast and struggled to get my biltong dry. I took an old steel cabinet measuring 600mm x 600mm x 600mm x 1.8m heigh with a steel door. I fitted removable rods in the top of the cabinet so I can hang the wet biltong easier. I hook the biltong on the rod outside the cabinet and simply slide the rod with biltong into place. It takes 100kg of meat. After drip dry I take a normal desk fan and turn it upside down on top of a bucket at the bottom of the cabinet and then I put a small oil fin heater next to it inside the cabinet. I leave the door about 4" open. It dries 100kg of biltong in 3 days. Because the cabinet is so high I can put a double stack of rods in which will take 200kg of meat easily.

User

Andrew, thanks for this thread. I made one of these last night took about 2 hours. The only difference being I used a larger 220v fan. I had to mount the fan near the bottom blowing into the box and venting at the top, I will give it a test over the next couple of days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3