Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default IDPA Gun - G17 vs G34

I’ve attended BigT’s Tactical Marksman course and from that it was clear to me that I want to practice the way I would want to shoot in a high stress situation and build some muscle memory so that I can do things the way I practiced. It is my understanding that if I practice a lot with two different handguns, I won’t get confused between the two in a stressful situation in operating them?

My SD pistol is a HK P30s and I carry it cocked and locked. Currently I’m shooting ESP (IDPA) with it as that is the way I carry it. I’ve just received my DSS and now I want to get another pistol. I was thinking towards an SSP gun, a Glock to be more specific. I just want to be clear that it is ok for me to shoot two different guns in operation as long as I still keep practicing with my P30 (I will still use the P30 for ESP shoots).

Even though I don’t think that IDPA should be seen as training, it does tend to get me at the range more often and give me some trigger time under a little bit of stress. Currently I’m using my EDC gear when I participate in IDPA shoots. I’m not a gamer, so being the best IDPA shooter there is, is not my main goal that I want to achieve. I became a member because I really enjoy the sport a lot and it has the benefit of getting me to the range more often. I enjoy shooting and IDPA makes it even more enjoyable.

So that got me thinking, should I buy a G34 since it will mainly be for IDPA or would I be better off with a G17? I've shot a G17 and G22 plenty of times before but never a G34. Keep in mind that my skill level is currently not at such a level that I will see a significant improvement with the G34 over the G17.

G17, the original and still the best.

If it were me, I'd go with a P30L, then I'd have the same platform and negate any issues, motivate it for SSP, start with hammer down.

User

Default Re: IDPA Gun - G17 vs G34

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    G17, the original and still the best.

If it were me, I'd go with a P30L, then I'd have the same platform and negate any issues, motivate it for SSP, start with hammer down.
    Thanks, I thought about that but wanted something different. If staying with the same platform is not important, I would want something different. If it is, I will get a P30L. I'm not sure how important it is to stay with the same platform?

I shoot a Glock and I have Rollie's and a dinosaur 1911. I personally don't find it too much of a problem changing platforms for shooting sports, the worst that can happen is you get DQ'd for doing something with the unfamiliar platform that is deemed a safety transgression (like forgetting to put the safety on with the 1911).
    For EDC I personally feel that it could be a potential problem but there are plenty guys who chop and change their EDC guns and they have no problem with it.

User

Go for the 17, more versatile and you say you arent a gamer and you dont need to compete at top level.

Also if you decide to carry it, the 17 is a better option.

User

34 without a doubt. If you are buying equipment for the game buy the most competative.

User

If my primary use for my handgun was personal defense and I was committed to the P30 I would get a P30L(S) or even a second P30S. Less competitive than the G34? Maybe...although a friend shoots a P30L as a member of the HK Shooting Team and he seems to do fine with his. As already noted, you can just start hammer down for SSP.

Same magazines, same manual of arms, etc. and a seamless transition to the other pistol should your primary ever be taken as evidence in a shooting case.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

As a matter of interest I think that the S versions of the P30 may be too wide to fit in the box.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    As a matter of interest I think that the S versions of the P30 may be too wide to fit in the box.
    The width of the box is 1 5/8" = 1.625" and the P30S has a width of 1.53", so it is legal to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    If my primary use for my handgun was personal defense and I was committed to the P30 I would get a P30L(S) or even a second P30S. Less competitive than the G34? Maybe...although a friend shoots a P30L as a member of the HK Shooting Team and he seems to do fine with his. As already noted, you can just start hammer down for SSP.

Same magazines, same manual of arms, etc. and a seamless transition to the other pistol should your primary ever be taken as evidence in a shooting case.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    34 without a doubt. If you are buying equipment for the game buy the most competative.
    Taking everyone's advice into consideration. I need to decide what I want to do with the gun. If it is purely to be used for sport, the G34 would be the best. Taking other factors into consideration, like maybe I would like to use it as a backup carry gun, the G17 or another P30S(and maybe L) would be a better option.

Like I mentioned before, I love shooting and would like to learn how to shoot different guns but not at the expense of it interfering with my personal defense. I would like to shoot off different platforms, but maybe for now I should stick to what I currently have, the P30S platform?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast