Default Pointers please: shooting a handgun with your weak hand.

How do you do it? - clearly there are no rights or wrongs in this discussion.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject over the years, and have tried a number of "techniques", and practiced a lot, but my weak hand shooting seems to have plateaued. I am marginally faster "supported" vs "unsupported", but no more or less accurate.

I tend to cant the pistol over to 45deg when shooting unsupported. I have been chewed over and on other occasions encouraged/coached to do this.

So, how do you do it, and tips/techniques/pointers for me or other (new?) shooters?

I am currently focusing on trigger technique, especially when doing the weak hand part of "dot torture".

As always, thanks in anticipation.

Sweet

Default Re: Pointers please: shooting a handgun with your weak hand.

yup, cant it slightly, and lift your thumb, works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    How do you do it? - clearly there are no rights or wrongs in this discussion.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject over the years, and have tried a number of "techniques", and practiced a lot, but my weak hand shooting seems to have plateaued. I am marginally faster "supported" vs "unsupported", but no more or less accurate.

I tend to cant the pistol over to 45deg when shooting unsupported. I have been chewed over and on other occasions encouraged/coached to do this.

So, how do you do it, and tips/techniques/pointers for me or other (new?) shooters?

I am currently focusing on trigger technique, especially when doing the weak hand part of "dot torture".

As always, thanks in anticipation.

Sweet
    It just feels wrong. It's a bit like throwing a ball with the wrong hand, it makes you throw like a girl. I'm sure it makes one shoot like a girl too.

User

I would take a different approach and try and strengthen your weak hand and arm.

This will help you control the recoil.

For technique, the way i do it is take the other hand and bring it tightly into your chest, slighlty cant the gun (it feels more natural) and raise the thumb. Shoot it slightly slower than SHO.

User

A little bit of cant isnt really an issue, straight up is fine as well. Try lift your shoulder when you shoot you will find it helps lock up better.

User

I do it the same as strong hand and for some reason I shoot faster/more accurate with my weak hand...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    yup, cant it slightly, and lift your thumb, works for me
    +1
    thumb adds a bit more stability.
    i also tend to curl my trigger finger around the trigger for a bit more stability. it's wrong i know.

also, pull the other fist into your chest and tense up your shoulders.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I would take a different approach and try and strengthen your weak hand and arm. This will help you control the recoil. For technique, the way i do it is take the other hand and bring it tightly into your chest, slighlty cant the gun (it feels more natural) and raise the thumb. Shoot it slightly slower than SHO.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    A little bit of cant isnt really an issue, straight up is fine as well. Try lift your shoulder when you shoot you will find it helps lock up better.
    +1 I still suck at it though, so what do I really know?

User

I tilt the gun and grab my shirt and press my fist into my shoulder. I also hunch and shrug ur shoulders same time