Banned

Default Scope for a .22 plinker - recommendations for a tight budget?

Hi y'all

Looks like the scope on my .22 rifle (Anschütz Mod 1450) has given up the war (reticle seems to shift between shots) and although I tried iron-sight for a short while with some success, it's just ain't cutting the mustard at shots anything over 50m. What would those in the know recommend for a budget scope for a .22 rifle (preferably those with some practical experience in the product they're mentioning)?

I'm on a very tight budget. I use the .22 mostly for center-fire practice and recreational plinking at the range. I will take it out to the field on occasion for lifting birds off the water and now and again taking a bird or three for the pot (shots between 20 - 100m, max!). Other than the local 2nd hand market and E-bay, I'm looking (new) at the Nikko Sterling range on offer at Rescomp (very well priced). I've seen quite a few Nikko scopes at the range (mostly the Nighteater range and a few MountMasters) on .22s and air-rifles. UltraOptic also features but I haven't seen many Ultra scopes on the range?!

Any recommendations and reviews welcomed!

User

Default Re: Scope for a .22 plinker - recommendations for a tight budget?

Been using a Nikko Sterling for the last ten years on the farm .22 and no problems ever. Still shoots where I aim. Think its a 4x mag.

User

I bought one from Rescomp, 4x42 Gold Medal and is using it on my .303 and so far nothing wrong. I think for the price and if you want to use it on a .22 maybe go for the 6x or even 3-9 x42.

User

Not so sure I will recommend the Niko Sterling Gold crown specifically - Also bought a 3-9 x 40 from RHT but after the second replacement (service is great they replace without any hassles) I decided to put this third one on my sons BB gun insted of going through the frustrations again. Same happened to friend of mine(bough the units together). In all 4 cases the reticle shifted to 45 degree angle (as in broke off)

I have a 3-9 x 40 Mil dot Ultra optec on both my .303 and .30-06 and have not had any hassles.
    Much better scope IMHO.

Regards
    JP

User

What would be the ideal scope for .22? Not asking about make, model etc but magnification, fixed/ variable etc etc