Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Average response time (alarm trip to phone call from security company)

I've replaced my alarm system a few month back. Also connected alarm to security company as it was not connected previously.
    We have had a few false alarms going off ...turned out one of the sensors was faulty. No fun when that happens 2/3 in the morning.
    The tech also said the aerial was too close to one of the other sensors which can also cause problems.

Anyway, all tech issues resolved, we did notice that the time for the company to call us after the alarm tripped varied, quite a bit.
    Last night was 5min (walked into kitchen and forgot about alarm :duh:)
    The longest that I can recall was 15min - the wife actually called the control room in the end and sounded like the person was asleep (we did report it)

So what is your avg response time from your security company?
    What is the avg time realistically? (I have no idea what takes places from time of alarm to time person has my number in hand to call)

User

Default Re: Average response time (alarm trip to phone call from security company)

I have found that Security companies operate differently in different areas - resources, amount of customers and availability of patrol vehicles. One of my friends (PTA east) is with Ubuntu and is very happy with the service he receives. I gave Ubuntu the boot, their average response times were anywhere between 20 minutes to half an hour. Last major indecent while with them the boys in blue pitched, attended to the problem and left before Ubuntu even pitched. Must admit - very impressed with the SAPS - Wierdabrug - there under 8 minutes! Moved to a new company after that, I receive sms within 15 seconds from the alarm tripping - network permitting. 7 out of 10 times my phone rings before I receive the sms. The slowest response time for a vehicle thus far was 4 minutes.

User

Default Re: Average response time (alarm trip to phone call from security company)

I don't even know how long a response vehicle takes which is mainly my worry. If they take 15min to call, then only send out 'n vehicle...I can only think off worst case scenarios then :(

3 mins is the norm from PHs in my area, i live in an enclosed area and these guys are at the gate

User

Less than one minute for the phone call. We usually tell them not to send the armed response because I accidentally set it off.

User

Mine seems to be 10 minutes response time from a LARGE company. They call quickly but response is slow.

User

I found the response time is much faster from slammer firms that only operate in smaller areas. I drove around in my area to just tally the response vehicles in my area per company. The large companies only had 1 vehicle each in my area. The company I went with had 3 at most times minimum, and they patrolled the area and not just parking at the Engen garage munching pies!

User

Reviving an old thread..

My wife has a local business right in the center of George, actually its a few blocks from the cops. Yesterday she had two guys who appeared to be attempting to gain entry to the premises, they shook the gate and seemed to be walking around checking the place out - jumping up on to the fire hydrant to peak over walls etc. She had customers alert her to the two guys.

So she called ADT and was put on hold. She put the phone down and hit the panic button - and ADT called her, and she reported the situation.
    After that, she called the Cops, who are really walking distance from her business.
    Lastly, she called her father who lives about 12+ blocks away.

She didn't say they looked suspicious - she said they were trying to gain entry, and made it clear it was an emergency.

In the end it turned out that they were just friends of an employee and apparently they thought acting like asshats and jumping around was a better idea than ringing the obvious intercom system. Bloody morons.

As far as response times - here are the results:

1. In first place we have her dad, about 2 min flat. No surprise there.
    2. Second place goes to ADT, who arrived between 10-15 min after the call. Personally I find that unacceptable as a response to a panic alarm, not a regular call.
    3. Oh the police... after 20+ min they still had not arrived. She called them to tell them not to bother, and they hanged up on her.

Not very impressive is it?

Didn't call me because I had my three year old with me and didn't want to endanger her.

You can not rely on anyone else for your safety, and it seems response times can be a crap shoot.

User

Seven months, and still waiting!

User

Why didnt you just phone me Jacques?

But here is what happened yesterday.

The one repeater is down with a technical problem so some calls gets handled through the large control room in Cape Town. Unfortunatly it takes a bit longer as they handle a massive amount of calls.

But here is the facts. The average response time last week was 5.9min. Worked it out myself.

Sometimes the vehicle in the area is already on a call they dispatch another vehicle for further away.

Response times cant be guaranteed there is about a million factors at play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast