Default Lets talk FN FAL's and the different series' and configurations.

Hi Guys

Been wondering what FN FAL's we have knocking about SA, how to tell what model / series they are, and what the differences are. We've had a discussion regarding the R series rifles, but not really the Belgium ones.

Besides the obvious differences, ie Para has a folding stock, I'm interested in what receiver matches what furniture and fixed accessories, like flashhiders, bi pods and grenade sights etc.

I've seen quite a few different FN's, but can't or don't know how to tell what series they belong to and what their configuration should be.

Any info would be appreciated.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Lets talk FN FAL's and the different series' and configurations.

OK, anybody know the difference between a G Series FAL and another one, not sure what the other one is, because I don't know how to tell the difference. ;D But, it's got a plastic handguard and butt, with an SA style flash suppressor and grenade sight.

The G Series has a plastic handguard, wooden butt and Belguin style flash suppressor, oh oh and the serial number starts with a G.

Are these basically the same rifle with cosmetic differences or are there other differences between these?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

When you say Belgian flashider what exactly do you mean? They made a number of different variants. Long, Short, G1.

See DS Arms : http://www.dsarms.com/Flashiders--Re...s/products/45/

Mine is a G series: Dark grey forend, wooden stock, G1 hider.

I think that there may be a couple of differences in the lightening cuts on the receiver too.

However, I know that a couple of G series guns got into the states pre '86 and are worth mad money now. In the $4-5000 range.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Sorry SSP, you right G1, same as yours then, didn't realise that there were that many.

I found this info on the G Series refering to them in the States, but was wondering if they were ithe same as the ones that were in SA.

"A G is sear cut. Meaning the portion of the rec.,on the left side is relieved at the hinge pin for the safety sear. They also have a FA ejector block installed. Thank goodness they are grandfathered or exempt from the NFA. Some came in the country with all wood furniture while others came in G-1 style. That is with StG style metal HGs and folding bipod and long Browning flashhider. Also, wood buttstock and plastic PG. Some came with alloy TMHs and some came in steel. Serial #s start with a G."

I suppose that gives some detail on the G Series, but I have no idea what series this one is. Sorry about the poor quality pictures, not mine.

-Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What other markings does it have on it?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    What other markings does it have on it?
    It's marked FN FAL, Cal 7.62 and then the full Fabrique Nationale too. There's also a number 36 22, not the serial number and have no idea what this means, possibly reference to a model, batch, contract, not sure. All the furniture is what appears to be black plastic, doubt it's fibre glass, but its not grey.

Now I found this very interesting and usefull link and thought I'd sorted out my problem, but not so.

http://www.saaaca.org.za/links/SIG/fal/fal.htm

This is definitely Belgium made, but without a crest, so it's possibly made for the Police or Prisons, but did any of them have grenade launcher flashhiders and sights? The Po9lice ones usually have the G1 flashhiders.

I'm giving up on this, and just accept its an F'N THING :-\
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter