Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NEA 300BLK Q&A

User

Default NEA 300BLK Q&A

Looking at an AR early next year and I'm siding towards the NEA 300BLK not aware of any other AR style guns that offer 300BLK in this Country. I'm just curious to know if there would be any negatives in going this route as apposed to the traditional 223/5.56. Ammo is obviously one thing, I'm not prepping for the apocalypse so I wont be hoarding ammo. One of my main reasonings behind this cartridge over and over the rest of the positives out there is using the NEA 300BLK with a gas block and a 5 round magazine for medium size game on the farm, R20000 + is chunk of change in my books and I plan to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. It's main use would be sport shooting obviously. I plan to use it in two gun IDPA matches.

Anyone have some info to share?

User

Default Re: NEA 300BLK Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by PAYBACK View Post
    ... and a 5 round magazine for medium size game on the farm, ...
    ?

User

I would go 223/5.56 purely for ammo and components availability and price. If you use the rifle for sport shooting you wont feel so bad when you leave a stage and 10 cases behind, because they have landed who knows where.

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    ?
    Well because rocking up at someone's farm with a 30 round mag is generally frowned upon. Never mind an AR type weapon.

User

Well because rocking up at someone's farm with a 30 round mag is generally frowned upon. Never mind an AR type weapon.
    Semi and hunting in the same sentence tut tut...

User

The 300 BLK really makes the best sense if you want a suppressed short barreled rifle. Otherwise, it's just an AK ballistics emulating AR. Which is still good frankly. There are no other AR types in 300 BLK available in SA that I'm aware of, and even the NEA in that caliber isn't available yet I think.

If you go for 300 BLK you'll obviously be reloading I take it? I'm also dead set on it, so I got the dies etc just to see how easy it would be to convert 5.56 brass, and it's literally a two minute process per case (cut, size, trim). I made a couple of primer/powderless rounds too just for kicks. Looks awesome. I'll assume case life with full power loads may not be the same, but shooting 220gr subs should mean you get a decent case life given the lower stresses. For sport shooting, you can always be unfashionable and mount a case catching bag on the side ;) Or just find them and lose one or two every so often, IDPA round counts aren't that high. Really, it's easy to make the brass. And as for bullets, there'll always be a wide range to choose from. Regarding components, the only component change is the barrel as far as I'm aware. Mags, action etc is identical. So unless you need a new barrel, you can pick and choose as normal.

I dunno about the hunting thing though, 'gas block' or not - hunters/farmers will probably get all excitable if they see an AR type rifle I reckon, regardless of whether it can only operate only with a manual action. Also don't know about 300 BLK for medium game, more experienced hunters than I could say I'm sure. To be honest, if blocking the gas somehow and using it for limited hunting is legit, that sounds quite useful actually. I doubt it's the case though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I would go 223/5.56 purely for ammo and components availability and price. If you use the rifle for sport shooting you wont feel so bad when you leave a stage and 10 cases behind, because they have landed who knows where.
    This

User

So what we saying is the 300 BLK in this Country is a novelty at this stage?

User

So what we saying is the 300 BLK in this Country is a novelty at this stage?
    Lian hasn't got his yet, so Yes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gerstner View Post
    Lian hasn't got his yet, so Yes.
    Settled I'll get a 300BLK then. Wouldn't want to look like all the rest of the 5.56 plebs

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast