User

Default Cleaning the carcass

How many of you clean your carcases yourself? Or do you just assume that the hands on the farm will do this and do it properly?
    Assumption in the Mother of all f*ckups.
    On my last trip on of the hunters was "ambushed"by a Kudu at a close range (under 60m), resulting in 2 quick shots, badly placed (bullets tore up the intestines.) Back at the sheds the animal was skinned and "cleaned".
    When he got back home and wanted to start processing the meat, most of the carcass was green and he had to throw the entire animal away.
    Its not always possible to be present during the cleaning stage, but I feel that it is important to check yourself, even afterwards to ensure that all is well, especially with a bad shot(s)
    Using a high pressure spray will just help to drive the contaminated tissue deeper into the healthy tissue.
    Have any of you had similar experiences? What do you do?

Banned

Default Re: Cleaning the carcass

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST
    How many of you clean your carcases yourself? Or do you just assume that the hands on the farm will do this and do it properly?
    Have any of you had similar experiences? What do you do?
    Good question good topic Thomas! Personally (and I know all of my hunting buddies do likewise) the first thing that I do (in the field) immediately after the shot, inspection of the dead animal and photos, is to drop the guts of that animal ASAP! Generally you want to cool that carcase down from the inside out as soon as possible. I don't wait for a vehicle to take the carcase back to the processing shed or hanging tree to do this. The quicker you can open the belly up and get the guts, intestines, blood and other viscera out the better. Generally I note that most hunters simply split open the belly and drop guts and intestines, which is only half-way there. You need to "gut" from stem to stern. You need to take all parts from the trachea / mouth right down to the anus out and away from the carcase. There's just as much harmful bacteria in the mouth / throat of an antelope (which ultimately drips / seeps back into the carcase during portage and hanging) as there is lower down towards the tail. Also in the cleaning process... blood is your enemy. You need to remove ALL blood from the carcase. Patches and puddles of blood inside the carcase are fertile breeding grounds for all kinds of bad sh1t! Once you've got the carcase hung (I hook-hang my carcases through / under the lower jaw, hanging head-up) a good hose-down (inside and out, you want to remove all sand, mud etc) and thorough inspection of your now opened carcase for all bits and pieces that shouldn't be there. After this blue-flies are your worst enemy. So get that carcase covered (mutton cloth, curtain material or in a well ventilated cooling room). I generally leave the skin on for as long as possible (i.e. do the skinning the morning that we leave) as it aids in keeping the carcase cool and protects the outside flesh, but skinning a fresh (warm) carcase is easier.

IMO basic field preparation of the animal that YOU shot is an integral part of the hunt. Not participating and / or allowing paid hands to do it for you is a cop-out. And as you quite rightly say, assuming that the hands will do a proper job is a dangerous assumption for YOUR meat.

User

Oh yes, bleeding and gutting/field dressing a carcass as soon as possible after the shot is a given. I allways have latex gloves with me in the veld and use them when field dressing. Once done I remove them and voila! clean hands! (There never is a tap present when you need one in the veld!) My buddies thought I was a moffie untill one saw what blood does to the blueing of a rifle. Now they are converted.
    I transport my carcases in their skin (they transport better) and process them at home.
    I used the Wengler Hunter untill recently - it has a lock blade, nice gut hook and a bone saw and some other goodies, the problem was that it was not easy to clean. Then I bought one of those Buck liner locks: nice blade on one side, guthook and saw on the other side with steel (alloy?) handles that can be taken apart for easy cleaning.
    Speaking of blood, one of the workers on the farm had left his hand untreated after a cut and got it contaminated with Springbok blood some months ago. He has lost 2 fingers since.. Springbok blood seems to be more malevonent than other types. Anybody have a clue as to why?

User

ThomasT

Excellent idea with the gloves, I am going to try it on my next hunt. Damn, I can allready hear the comments. Ha ha
    I do as much of the initial cleaning as the day allows and butcher 80% of my carcases myself.
    On the blood issue, its the first I have heard.

Revolver

With regard to blood causing infection. Ive cut myself numerous times whilst gutting particularly whilst working in the dark or in a reall hurry and still have all my digits. Possibly the problem could be infection from not cleaning the wound properly when opportunity presents. I usually clean my knife properly/ thoroughly when back in camp but some of these guys wipe it clean on some grass and re sheath, only to be unsheathed on the next use. That blade must be a microbilogists dream.

I was taught to tie off oesophegus and rectum before cutting and only use water as a last resort as it breaks down the membrane protecting the meat. Naturally if the gut is ruptured, youve got to do something. I was taught to wash and dry it with old mutton cloth. Apparently if water is left behind it acts as a soup for bacteria to breed. Also as far as is possible keep the carcass in 1 piece.