Default Bullet Proof Seat Covers

Has anyone thought of adding a compartment to those car / bakkie seat covers you can buy at most supermarkets, in which you can place soft armour from a BPV? I think especially if you have bucket type deep seats and armour that provides side protection as well, it might be worth considering? Even if only the driver could be protected. Would beat putting on your BPV everytime you get into your car or otherwise hardening your vehicle which is very expensive and high profile. Don't think it might work that well with the hard armour though...
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Default Re: Bullet Proof Seat Covers

Epic idea. I just though about it in a police vehicle. My uncle was shot together with his partner in the back when he was still serving the SAPS. One of the BG's smuggled a compact handgun in his underwear into the car and shot him and his partner from the back through the seat. He shot and killed both of them, and quit the SAPS after that. A bullet-proof seat, even something as simple as a kevlar cover or backing would have saved him and his partner a lot of trouble. See the article here:

http://www.news24.com/xArchive/Archi...illed-20001124

It was a crap time, trust me.

User

nice idea 47 but where are bullets most likely to come from? I would think probably a BG standing at your window, so your 3/4 front/side and head are most vulnerable. If you are alert enough and pull off, then yes it might help, except for the highline.

You're probably right prepare2win - I was thinking more along the lines of a vehicle driving up alongside you while you are in motion - from what I have seen the shootings in these cases are usually slightly from the rear.

So how can you do a low profile DIY job to protect your 3/4 front / side? Bullet Proof Blanket perhaps?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

hmm, off the top of my head I would think perhaps a small ballistic shield, (I've seen them built into briefcases) maybe sitting in the door trough compartment thingy, that you can grab with your right hand and raise.

my next car is going to be an automatic so I dont have to worry about stalling or gear changes. frees up a hand for weapon access or such a shield perhaps.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    hmm, off the top of my head I would think perhaps a small ballistic shield, (I've seen them built into briefcases) maybe sitting in the door trough compartment thingy, that you can grab with your right hand and raise.
    The Punisher's car?

That was cool!