User

Default Re: Rifle/Long Range Shooting Course

Any update on the course?

User

Also eager to get the details....

User

I would also love to attend something like this. Please let us know as soon as any details become available.

I'm fully booked with training until mid April and have other contracts pending. I'll let you know as soon as I know.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Take your time... I can't afford a rifle just yet ;)

User

What would you suggest as a rifle for this? I think I've been reading to many hunting suggestions and am completely confused. I was thinking that getting a .308 would be a decent calibre because ammo would be so readily available. Then 30-06 came to mind but apparently that has lots of recoil. Now I'm thinking .270 because it's apparently a nice flat shooter. I'm sure .338 Lapua would be the best choice but for the shooting I want to do I don't think it's going to be cost effective.

I guess my real question is, what would be a good enough calibre, that is cheap enough to shoot so that I can learn on it?

User

If you reload I recommend a .260 Remington or any of the 6.5mm calibre variants ie 6.5 x 47 lapua, 6.5 x 284, 6.5 x 55 swede, 6.5 creedmoore etc. They are approx 30% more efficient than .308 in terms of bullet drop and wind deflection, recoil very mild, respectable barrel life (except for 6.5 x 284).

If you don't reload a .308 would be best. Ammo cheap and easily available, same for reloading components. Good barrel life, mild recoil esp with silencer or brake. And you can always convert it to a .260 if you wish as they share the same case. Also there is a wealth of ballistic data available for this calibre which makes long range shooting easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User

223 REM is cheap compering to other ,easy to get ammo and due to its sensitivity to wind and other elements will teach you a lot and fast on how to estimate ,calculate and dial your scope to reflect your point of aim

There is a reason that the .308 Win is the calibre of choice for the majority of SWAT / Military units! Inherently accurate, relatively cheap to shoot, good barrel life, logistics are easy and you don't need a gun bearer.

The .50 BMG and .338 L, et al are great calibres; predominantly deployed as anti-materiel rifles.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Nellie, for what my opinion is worth, Mr Rosslee or Ross on this forum is one of the most gifted teachers in the world today! he courses run the gambit of firearms skills from close quarters employment to the long distance discipline (as he has stated) Mr Rosslee combines real world skills and experience both in one of the most operationally active law enforcement arena's as well as skills sets honed in the Middle East. He is without a doubt one of the premier teachers in this market and his courses should be at the top of your shopping list. Bryan Mennie
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast