Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SAS Kit

User

Default SAS Kit

Hi guys,

Ok so I downloaded the pdf on the website about kit requirements. Pleas give comments and kindly list the kit you are currently using, like everyone I am on a budget and I don't want to pay unnecessary school fees.

1. Rifle - was thinking of getting a lee enfield 303 with stripper clips
    2. 150rd with 6 stripper clips if I can get any
    3. 2l water - I'm thinking a bladder
    4. Gun cleaning kit - any suggestions
    5. Bush hat - sorted
    6. Boots - sorted have army boots
    First aid kit containing number 7, 11, 12 & 13
    8. Toilet paper - sorted
    9. Water less hand cleaner - sorted
    10. Black plastic bag - sorted
    14. Knife - sorted got a leatherman wave
    15. Lighter - will get a bic

This is what I gather from the pdf for level 1 kit, will it be the same for 2013?

I would appreciate it if you could list your kit, and the means you use to carry such kit on your person. I know some of you guys use tac vests but this I where brand naming comes in guys, would the old chest webbing or battle jackets of SADF wok for this?

O and last question if I can't get a rifle early next year would someone be able to assist so that I can join you guys on a level 1, I will then obviously not qualify for th level 1 badge but will then be abl to get a feel for this sport and what I need to get.

Thanks in advance
    George

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: SAS Kit

SADF gear works beautifully.

Bladder is the way to go for water IMO - I tried bottles and its just irritating.

You can carry all your kit in SADF chest webbing + bladder (works better for SLRs but should be do-able for bolt-actions as well, although not ideal).

For the cleaning kit just keep it to the minimum (i.e. Don't carry a rod, just pack a boresnake).

If I'm there you are more than welcome to use my CZ .22 for the day.

I did my first L1 with a normal el-cheapo day-pack (bright red at that) and the .22. You really don't need to spend a lot of money to get going with Sas and in fact I'd recommend doing it with what you already have first before spending money on stuff that you subsequently find out doesn't work for you.

Use your Sas experience to inform your purchases, not the other way around.

User

Hi JS4,

That's the reason for this thread, I have a day pack that I think I will use for the first time and it has a bladder to boot.

Another question, I bough a 357mag rollie as my first FA ue to budge restrictions (will have to wait for my g19) as soon as the license comes through I tag her along, how much ammo do you guys carry for your side arms on the day?

Will definitely take you up on that offer (if we can schedule to do attend the same day)

I always wanted to enlist in the army but sadly that's not really as good an option for us as it was 20 years ago (training and discipline wise) but I recon this could be fun and good training

User

Secondary weapon (handgun) was not listed as a requirement for L1 to make participation/entry easier, but you won't find many (if any) of us doing anything without our trusty EDC.

Carry as per normal with you EDC ammo load (speedloaders I presume) and then its up to you to maybe add another fifty rounds or whatever to your pack - it is not a requirement though.

Do make sure you have extra ammo for your handgun available for the other training drills though - the L1 is normally finished after a couple of hours and then it is training time, and at Sas we friggin' luuurv training!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

will Lm5 work?

User

Yes.

I use my LM6. In fact, Bushboy placed first in the 2012 Dellville Wood Memorial competition running his LM6 with iron sights.

That's pretty much what Sas was designed for, but do not discount the bolt-guns - Sean regularly gives us SLR boys a shooting lesson with his Mauser.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

That's just it JS4, I want/need all that training.

Henno I believe a lm5 would be sweet for this!

Damn now where did I put my lotto tickets?

User

Sound awesome. Will see you guys 2013. Be safe.

User

I am definitely going to join in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanm View Post
    I am definitely going to join in the new year.
    Camo has allready posted a full programme for 2013.

He is organising something really special for some weekend in March 2012.

For that event, only paid up members of sas shooting, who has a current L1 qualification will be allowed.

Dont miss out on this - get your kit sorted, and do the L1 in January or February.

2013 is going to be great!

Willie Barnard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast