User

Default CPF and CB radios

Hi Guys

Ive been reading some archived posts and would like you guys to share more ideas on CPF and the use of radios.

We tried to get this up in running in Highveld Centurion but with no luck.

Can you guys help me with the following:
    1) How do you get everybody involved? We have a separate block with +- 90 homes. Nice cutaway area. See map. Its east of stansted str.Attachment 9330
    2) Which radios do you use and what is the cost involved?
    3) Is there patrolling involved or do you use the active members as backup (seems to work great = fast response time)
    4) How do you get the police involved and link your radio to them?
    5) Do you think it will be a "scare-off tactic" to put on signs stating that the area is controlled by CPF and radios?
    6) Any other difficulties and considerations?

I think CPF is a great idea and heard so many success stories!!

TIA

User

Default Re: CPF and CB radios

1) Good question. If you find the answer I will also like to hear. Point is you will get a few dedicated members who will do most of the patrols/response and the rest will have excuses.
    2) We use TYT. R650 with some nice features for that price. But lately the importer had some difficulties with the supplier.
    3) We have regular patrols. Some of us have slotted into permanent slots we cover every week. Then Fri or Sat we have a "OPS" sometimes with Police/Metro involvement. Hi-Vis patrolling of the area with as many cars as we can get together. With backup we are also very spoiled. There are quite a few members in our area (200+) so if a emergency is called on the radio, even on a slow night, you will have like 10 members reacting.
    4) CPF is by definition Police controlled. We have a sector commander, two sector police cars and a few dedicated sector police men doing regular patrols. Assisting CPF on more serious matters. CPF are the eyes and ears of the SAPS. Without SAPS involvement you will be a toothless guard dog. We also had a business sponsor two Cell phones. One for each Sector vehicle. This numbers are not just for CPF members, the number gets published in our local newspaper, so any one in need of them can contact them.
    5) If there are businesses in your area you could get them to sponsor some signs. "Welcome to Sector 6 Put-sonder-water CPF. This area are routinely patrolled. Sector Police Tel No: 083&(&^*$@ & 082%&@*)*&"
    6) I can ask our CPF chairman to contact you with further suggestions/help if you PM me your e-mail.

The CPF can be very rewarding. Helping someone in need if a emergency arise are very "feelgood", but our patrols is mostly boring. Guess I should not complain about it. Since we started the CPF initiative crime has dropped by more than 80% in our area.