Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs

As promised here is a write up on the HLIS earmuffs.

At home I installed the AAA duracell batteries (supplied with my earmuffs), was easy enough to get the cover plate off, but getting it back on was a bit of a hassle. Considering you won't be doing this regularly it is a non issue. After I figured out how to adjust them for length (the metal brackets extend) i got them to fit well over my ears.

I tested them at the Rashoop range on the 29th December when we did our intro to IDPA with Mic and Sands.

After the initial briefing we got kitted out and the ears went over the head. I switched them on and hearing clarity was brilliant. the volume is adjustable and takes about 2 seconds to adjust to the new setting.

It was my understanding that electronic earmuffs do not pick up the sound of shots due to the microphones not working in those decibel ranges. So I was a bit surprised when I could hear every shot fired on the range from the guys at the otherside 60m away to the guys shooting where we were standing. I was very confused and thought 1) Possibly a factory fault, 2) Possibly I did something wrong (missed a button or some such) 3) My understanding of how they worked was wrong.

So a couple of days later I PM'd SSP who has been using HLIS earmuffs for sometime. He confirmed for me that the earmuffs don't eliminate the gunshot, they just bring the decibel levels down to safe levels for your ears. So option 3 above (mea culpa idiotica). This of course means the HLIS performed perfectly as they were designed to perform.

I wore them most of the day with the microphones switched on. You don't require full volume to hear and I kept the volume just enough so that I can hear easily around me. They are very comfortable to wear, even on a day that was hot as hell in Brits (approaching the 40 degree mark). When using eye protection I put them under the earmuff so that the glasses sits nice and tight. I could not detect that this negativley influenced the performance of the HLIS (i.e. shots sounding louder than when not wearing eye protection) which leads me to believe the cups mould very well around the eye protection to protect your hearing.

With the microphones turned off the outside world sounds nearly completely disappears.

I have yet to try them while shooting my rifles. However I did shoulder my rifles at home while wearing the HLIS. My 30-06 has a straight stock and the earmuffs barely came into contact with the stock. My 243 on the other hand has a Monte Carlo style stock and the earmuffs do get into contact with the stock (but this happens with other earmuffs as well).

All in all, I am happy with this purchase and think it is money well spent. My father in law (60) needs to wear hearing aids because of the damage to his ears from his army days and also being an engineer (blasts on site in his younger days). Money spent on your hearing protection now, will benefit you when you are 60.

Default Re: Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs

Cool, thanks. Also had that issue with gunshots further away. At the first IDPA shoot I used mine (different brand) at, they actually amplified the shots from the neighbouing bays. Taught me to turn down the volume PDQ.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Thanks.

Been busy the entire December bidding on Ebay for a pair.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy and for how much?

User

I got mine from Tactical Dynamic Solutions in PE through bidorbuy. They were the only people that had stock in SA (ie no waiting period), but I took the last pair.

Thanks! These look to be on my procurement list ;-)

User

Finally won a bid on Ebay. Waiting for them to arrive in JHB this week.
    Will only know after paying customs if it was actaully cheaper getting them from the States :-)

User

I bought my wife a pair of Howards for Xmas and they have the most atrocious speaker noise in them. They sound like R5 store speakers. I'll be getting some ******s for her and myself later this year.

Edit - huh. Why is that brand name censored?

KBK

User

Have been using them for the last two years doing clay and wingshooting and they are great. They do touch the stock, but not as much as others.

User

Hi

Is everyone talking about the R-01526 model?

Tx

User

Quote Originally Posted by swazz99jhb View Post
    HiIs everyone talking about the R-01526 model? Tx
    Yes these! I'm very happy with mine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast