Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Food for thought?

I was wondering yesterday, If all the gun companys were represented as well as what they are in the States.

Would the Glock clan still have Glocks if all the other brands were availiable at reasonable pricing?

Reason I'm asking, whenever I'm at the range with Glock carriers, they always commenting on how my different guns shoot and how "nice" they are?

Default Re: Food for thought?

The P30 has a big following over on Pistol-forum.com. Probably because it did well in the tests and because TLG likes it so much. The price of mags here, and the price of the gun makes it a very expensive to gun to run.

But the M&P is priced reasonably, parts etc (except mags!) are quite available, but Glock still has its following.

In the end the answer probably lies in capital investment. If you already have invested heavily in mags, holsters, spares etc, changing to a different brand is not a quick task.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I think Glock has become a "fashion statement" in shooting circles. Don't get me wrong, I think Glock is up there but a lot of guys that have never even shot a handgun wants a Glock because they saw this or that or heard this and that. I was at a range the other day and one of the guys there took out his Glock 19 to let his wife shoot. He looked at my SP2, asked me what it was and when I said it is a Vektor, he just grinned and loaded his 19 as he handed it to his wife. He obviously thought it was better, until he took a few shots with it, then he loved it! I still don't like the way it feels in my hand, the trigger or the way it points and I don't think I ever will. Just my humble opinion....

User

my personal 2c:

with glocks going for almost half the price of a P30..... the price difference alone will generate a massive following.
    add that the glocks are stupidly reliable, that multiplies the following.
    2/0

the P30 is just as reliable (if not more), but costs almost double (until end last year, it was +50%, compared to now +100%).
    1/1

the M&P is about 10% more expensive that the glocks;
    but has some reviews stating iffy trigger problems. but, apparently the apex trigger resolves all that.
    striker fired, like glock.
    much better ergonomics (then again, a brick has better ergos)
    1.5/0.5 ;)

imho, HK is probably losing a serious amount of "new buyers" with their pricing now, compared to M&P and Glock.
    but then again, i doubt they care... we all know HK's general opinion towards civilians: "fuck you, because you suck".

personally, i'm very very very glad I got my P30 before the increase.
    personally, i'd buy a glock over my dead body. i'd take an M&P any day of the week over a glock. i'm not drinking that koolaid, no matter how good their cookies are.
    Last edited by Lian; 06-01-2013 at 11:51.

User

I also think Hollywood has had alot to do with the popularity of Glock's.

User

An opinion from someone who knows jackshit about handguns.

I don't know much about handguns, when I read the magnum I leave the handgun articles for those desperate last couple of days before the new magnum comes out and I have read every other article in the magnum.

I am a hunter. My interest in firearms stems from hunting. Since joining GS I have become aware that there are more handguns than Glock. My bliksem, never knew that!

For the uninformed person, the only thing they know is Glock. Mention M&P and they will look at you with Bambi eyes!

Luckily Glock is awesomely supported and well priced in SA (not mention sexier than most handguns), spares are available and the glock is as reliable as seeing impala in Kruger!

It would be great if other brands are as well supported, but until then I won't consider anything else.

User

You guys are missing the point

I'm asking if all the brands were respresented were like Glock and pricing was the same for accesories etc

Would you guys still run Glock?

User

What you should be asking is, if all brands where equally available and equally well supported what would you shoot?

I don't think holywood has anything to with glocks popularity nor do I believe it is a fashion statement (?). I firmly believe the proof is in the pudding and glock can back up whatever it says they are able to do. If all guns and accessories were the same price, I'd still have a glock, if the tables were turned and glock was twice the price...I'd still have a glock.

Nobody, irrespective of their personal preference can argue that glock does not deliver, is reliable, well built and Dependable. I'm not biast just because I carry one, I own many other brands too, perhaps not an hk but that too is just personal preference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast