User

Default Have your say- Dangerous Weapons Bill [B 37 - 2012 }

Hi all.

Dont know if this is the correct place to post this.

Was reading The Sunday Times newspaper this morning and on bottom left of page 4
    is an advert from the Acing chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Police.

I'm not able to find the sourse on "the sunday times" newspaper web site, and dont have a scanner to scan in the ad. Typed it out instead.

It says.

"Have your say
    Dangerous weapons bill [B37-2012]
    Invitations for public submissions.

The portfolio committee on police invites people and stakeholders to submit written comments on the Dangerous Weapons Bill.

The Bill aims to provide for certain prohibitions and restrictions in respects of the possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or replica or imitation firearm; to repeal the Dangerous Weapons Act in operation in the areas of the erstwhile South Africa, Transkei, Bobhuthatstwana, Venda and Ciskei, as those areas were constituted immidiately before 27 April 1994; to amend an Act; and to provide for matters connected therewith.

Written submittions addresed to the Portfolio Committee on Police, should be directed to the Committee Secretary, Babalwa Mbengo, and posted to P.O.Box 15, Cape Town 8000., or e-mailed top bmbengo@parliament.gov.za or faxed to 086 665 5444.

Kindly indicate your interest in making verbal presentation to the committee.
    The closing date for submittion is 12.00 on Friday, 8 February 2013.

Additional information and copies of the Bill may be obtained from the committee Secretary who may be reached via e-mail or 021-403-3741.

Isued by: Ms A Van Wyk, Acting Chairperson of the pPortfolio Committee on Police"

So I've emailed to get a copy of the act.

What does this mean to us gun owners?
    Something to worry about or not?

Sean

User

Default Re: Have your say- Dangerous Weapons Bill [B 37 - 2012 }

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    What does this mean to us gun owners?
    Something to worry about or not?
    Just search "Dangerous Weapons Bill".

Thanks for posting.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Afaik the current bill is a far cry from the previous one which we all commented on.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Would it be this one? http://www.policesecretariat.gov.za/...s_bill2012.pdf

It still has this bit:

Prohibition of possession of dangerous weapons, firearms and replicas or imitations firearms

2. (1) Any person who is in possession of—
    (a) any dangerous weapon; or
    (b) any firearm, replica or imitation firearm,
    under circumstances which may raise a reasonable suspicion that the person intends to use the dangerous weapon, firearm, replica or imitation firearm for an unlawful purpose, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding three years.

(2) In determining whether a person intends to use the dangerous weapon, firearm, replica or imitation firearm for unlawful purpose, all relevant factors including but not limited to the following, must be taken into account:
    (a) The place and time where the person is found;
    (b) the general behaviour of the person, including the making of any threat or intimidatory behaviour;
    (c) the manner in which the dangerous weapon, firearm, replica or imitation firearm is carried or displayed;
    (d) whether the possession of the dangerous weapon, firearm, replica or imitation firearm was within the context of drug dealing, gang association or any organised crime activity; or
    (e) whether the person in whose possession the dangerous weapon, firearm, replica or imitation firearm was found, was at the time part of persons who were also in possession of dangerous weapons, firearms, replicas or imitation firearms.
    It still sounds to me that one is guilty on the strength of suspicion alone.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

I would love to find out how exactly this "thing" will be integrated with the FCA. There are too many ambiguous statements and too little specification of what constitutes an actual offense. It's so open to abuse it's not even funny.

Am I correct in saying you could be arrested for carrying a legally licensed and owned firearm as its a dangerous weapon?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by brukutu View Post
    Am I correct in saying you could be arrested for carrying a legally licensed and owned firearm as its a dangerous weapon?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Can you say: "Lawsuit?"

User

Email sent

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    I would love to find out how exactly this "thing" will be integrated with the FCA. There are too many ambiguous statements and too little specification of what constitutes an actual offense. It's so open to abuse it's not even funny.
    The DWA amended the FCA to include its provisions.

Yes, once a policeman suspects you of thinking about being bad you are guilty of a crime.

Reasonable doubt is out the window, but then it has been expressly deleted by the FCA anyway.

Pretty consistent legislating. Consistently offensive that is.