User

Default 280 Ackley impoved

I have read up quite a bit on this caliber but unfortunately could not find any reference to load data with Somchem powders.
    Does anybody out there have any experience with this caliber, loads / velocity / accuracy etc.?

User

a user of this site by the name of: WYN uses a 280 AI. he loads for it and seems very satisfied , if i understand his comments correctly this rifle is a custom built 280 AI. try him for advice he seems happy with the rifle / calibre. check out the discussion/thread : 270 vs 7mm.

if you cant get hold of WYN then try Chris v Niekerk at Safari and Outdoor, according to Wyn mr v Niekerk convinced him of the positives of the 280AI. so it is just natural that he would know the answers.

please give us feedback

User

I think Wynand might be on a hunting trip now. Oom Chris is not at S&O, Hendrik van Rensburg is though but I am sure they will have Oom Chris' number for you.

User

Chris van Niekerk : 021 9767981

The way I understand it is that is that the 280 Remington is the same as the 7x64 or close to similar. I know that in US they use 280 remington cases for 7x64. The only difference between AI and normal is the shoulder of Ai being sharper. I wouldn't be surprise if the reloading data for 280AI is similar to that of 7x64 plus 2-3%. I other good idea if you don’t get the info would be to get reloading info for 280AI from USA for a powder similar to one of ours, start at the minimum and check the cartridge for signs of pressure. That is what a friend did when he had to develop loads for his 300 RUM.

Hi jl1904

With regards to your post
    Quote Originally Posted by jl1904 View Post
    Does anybody out there have any experience with this caliber, loads / velocity / accuracy etc.?
    I have had my rifle for a few years now, and I am very happy with it. I am a 7mm fan, and this is just a fast 7mm. Reloading is easy, components are available and MY rifle is not finicky. I hunted last year with a 140gr sierra prohunter(58gr s365) going about 3450fps. This gave massive meat damage. My target round is 168gr matchking at +-3000fps.

You mention accuracy... I don't agree on the "inherent accuracy of a cartridge" term, according to me your rifles setup is much more likely to influence accuracy. My 280 has never shot groups bigger than 25mm while doing load development. My rifle was built as a f-class rifle by Terry Harrison with his custom tight neck reamer, Arnold has seen it and can confirm it has a very heavy bull barrel on.

The case form has some qualities that might influence accuracy:
    Its not belted.(its purely personal preference here)
    Has a long neck,thus I find I have less runout when seating a bullet-compared to the 243 I had.
    And I might be talking bs, but with the sharp 40degree shoulders and the long neck your flames focus point is in the case neck and not on the lands.
    -------------------
    Thanks Arnold,just returned today. If the weather stays good Im going to kraaifontein on saturday. I have loads for the 375weatherby mag, 303, 280AI and I have to test my 22's new silencer.

Wynand

Oh yes, I almost forgot, ALL LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY RIFLE, THEY MIGHT NOT BE IN YOURS, I assume no responsibility for the loads published. All load info can be queried by emailing somchem, they will supply you with "safe" loads

User

Will see you there Wynand, if the weather is good ...

I will bring my chrono, so hopefully we have a clear day.

User

Thanks for the info guys.

Wyn, do you fireform your own cases? Apparently you can shoot regular 280 ammo in it to get casaes formed.

What powder and charge are you using with the 168 gr target load?

I was lucky, got a box of nosler custom 280Ai cases from Safari and Outdoor for a good price.

The price that they are going now (R900/50) , might get me to start fireforming r-p 280rem cases "if" I can find them But then its cheap cases, that needs to be weight sorted, necks trimmed,flash hole deburred,primer pocket uniformed and fire formed-with the noslers its all been done by the factory.

You can not use a 7x64 case, the case diameter at the head/web is different, and I THINK a 30-06 case is just to short. I would any way not use any pmp cases, the brass is to thick, and in my 308 cases the flash hole is of centre.

All Ackley Improved rifles can shoot the parent case to fireform/hunt, you lose a few hundred fps. I have done this on a hunt with my 375 weatherby magnum I forgot to pack my ammo!!! used store baught 375h&h ammo. I plan to buy a 243 soon, and ackley improve it.If you reload, then why not? you can still shoot factory fodder. anyway... thats me ranting again.

Im really happy with the nosler cases and this caliber, the brass lasts very long.

With the 168gr smk I load 54gr S365 and cci250 primers, again the same warning applies as in my previous post.

Wynand