Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Beretta 92FS and FS Compact

I admit it. I am an unashamed fan of the Beretta 92 Series pistols. Yes, they have their drawbacks, but they are, all in all, THE most reliable pistols I have ever experienced. That includes Glocks, CZ's, Sigs, 1911's, Brownings, M&Ps, older generation S&W's and anything else you can think of, in any caliber...including revolvers. (Yes...including revolvers!)

I own two of these wonderful handguns. A US built M92FS from 1994 and an Italian made 92FS Compact from 1990. Both use all steel internal parts rather than the later poly triggers and guide rods but either type works just fine.

I had not shot either of these pistols since maybe 1998 or 1999, but an inquiry from a friend who was about to buy a nice used one made me dig mine out of the back of the safe and go shooting today.

First, the full size M92 is a BIG gun...fully the equal in size and weight loaded to my G21SF. The Compact holds 13rd in the mag and is slightly smaller but still just as thick and not a 'small' gun at all.

Today I put 200rd through each...150rd cheapo FMJ (Speer Blaser Brass) and 50rd each of WW Ranger T 127gr +P+. Just as I knew they would, both completed the day without so much as a bobble...perfect function.

True, trying to CCW the full size M92 is sorta like carrying / concealing a 3lb. box of CornFlakes, but it was never designed for such. It is a duty pistol, pure and simple. The Compact, while better, is still a bit of a PITA to CCW, but I have done it before and was never 'made'.

Accuracy was exemplary as with pretty much every Beretta I have ever shot. The slide is so smooth it feels like it is on ball bearings. The stock sights, while not ideal for games, are plenty for a service or CCW pistol IMO. With good factory ammo, groups under 3in are pretty common at 25yd.

Both of my guns use the standard 'F' trigger setup...DA/SA only with a slide mounted safety / decock lever. I won't lie, I do prefer the G Model with decock function only, but except for a short run of Safariland holsters that made it in to general production which were designed to engage the safety upon snapping the holster (per the Los Angeles SO for a special order but somehow Safariland put them into regular production) which was cleared up most riki tik, I have never had any problems with the F series guns in the field.

For about 12 years, we had 65 or so 92FS's at our Police Academy. Best guess is that each of them fired probably 8500-10,000rd per year of factory full power 9mm FMJ as well as some NATO FMJ when that was all that was available.

Despite what some would have you believe, the total parts breakage during that time was some 3 trigger return springs, 3 locking blocks, 2 trigger bars, 1 trigger bar spring, 3 firing pins, 5 extractors, a few barrels and a few pins. NO cracked frames, NO cracked slides, no drama at all. The Berettas are tough and do hold up very well.

The guns were all in very good shooting condition when they were traded for the M&P 9mms we have now. Personally I would simply have upgraded to new Berettas, since no one knows (typically) what a recruit will be issued or allowed to carry at their first job. But that was not my decision to make.

Keep in mind that recoil, hammer and extractor/ firing pin springs were changed out at 5000-7500rd per factory schedule...something too few civilian shooters bother to do.

I have a set of Hogue aluminum grips on the Compact and had forgotten how much I like them. I will definitely be getting a set for the full size as well. Much sharper in the hand than the factory plastic.

I have decided to casually put another 1000 or so rounds through both of these beauties and document it. No, not a torture test, but maybe a reminder that the guys who carry / use the Z88 and Beretta 92 guns...as well as their somewhat bastardized Vektor SP1 cousins...really should not be looked down upon. These pistols will do their jobs just fine so long as you maintain them properly. IMO the SAPS decision to go with the PX4 in 9mm was flawed. I would have jumped all over the new M92A1.

Now...I just need a like new EliteII in 9mm to show up at a lowball price and I will be a VERY happy man!
    Last edited by ikor; 13-01-2013 at 00:22.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Beretta 92FS and FS Compact

Thank you ikor. there are plenty variants here in RSA and i am sure more guys will start bringing them out.
    i just love mine but sadly cannot shoot it well. my thumbs are too long and get wacked by the levers.

i do hope you get an elite II . i have one and it just awesome.

i also have a 92 with a barrel thats locked in front . it does make the gun a tighter shooter.
    Last edited by KK20; 13-01-2013 at 11:24.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Thanks for the post, Ikor! Very nice read.

User

Thanks! Glad to see I am not the only one with a soft spot for the 92. Just yesterday I picked my licence for a 92SB (bought at the irresistible price of R3000). Hopefully I'll get a chance to put a few rounds downrange in the coming week without catching a slide to the teeth

User

Beautiful. My first real pistol shooting experience was with a 92 for a couple of months, still get all giggly when I see or hear of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Todor View Post
    Thanks! Glad to see I am not the only one with a soft spot for the 92. Just yesterday I picked my licence for a 92SB (bought at the irresistible price of R3000). Hopefully I'll get a chance to put a few rounds downrange in the coming week without catching a slide to the teeth

You'll be fine. The SB is a very nice pistol...and my personal favorite Compact Model as well but none available here any more.

Per Drew Ursin...at the time, Beretta USA's head gunsmith...the first cracked slides were due to the SEALs handloading ammo that ran at 50,000PSI. That is the same as .308 ammo.

Easy to find a cracked slide...just field strip the gun and hold the stripped slide by a finger under the muzzle with slide hanging down. Use the barrel to tap the slide. It should 'ring' like fine china. If it goes 'tink tink' you have a cracked slide.

These are excellent pistols...you have found a jewell IMO.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks Ikor, smiling from ear to ear reading that ;-) I LOVE my Beretta

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor;373469
    [COLOR=#000000
    Per Drew Ursin...at the time, Beretta USA's head gunsmith...the first cracked slides were due to the SEALs handloading ammo that ran at 50,000PSI. That is the same as .308 ammo.
    [/COLOR]
    Easy to find a cracked slide...just field strip the gun and hold the stripped slide by a finger under the muzzle with slide hanging down. Use the barrel to tap the slide. It should 'ring' like fine china. If it goes 'tink tink' you have a cracked slide.
    That's the bit of advice you gave me a few months back and I checked the slide before going through with the purchase, so I guess I owe you a beer or two for it the next time you are in our part of the woods

Well...I guess I might just take you up on that beer one of these days.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I love my Beretta 92SB italian made, bought mine second hand, previous owner barely used it, it was literally brand new, the only issue I have with it is when I shoot about 250 rounds in one go the rounds that follow start failing to feed and fail to eject... Could this be because the firearm gets too dirty inside and causes the chambering to become sticky?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast