User

Default Sig-Sauer 556R - Impressions.

SIG-SAUER 556R 7,62X39 : IMPRESSIONS

For those unfamiliar with the 556R, it is a 556 platform rifle chambered in 7,62x39, therefore the “R” designation for RUSSIAN.

I have had 2 opportunities now to shoot he Sig 556r and I have some preliminary impressions.

There are lots of reviews and opinions on this rifle and most of them relating to the pre mid 2012 model. The reviews on the pre mid 2012 model are mostly negative and it seems that the majority opinion is that the rifle was released by Sig- Sauer as a “beta” version and before Sig-Sauer really tested the rifles properly prior to release to the gun buying public in the USA.

Some of the problems and/or gripes in respect of the 1st Gen 556R rifles were :
    non Swisscentric stock
    feeding problems with steel cased ammo (not a good thing)
    erratic extraction
    mag compatibility issues
    receiver being gouged where the AK mag latches forward in the receiver
    etc.

Gabe Suarez seems to have gotten on to the 556R “New Generation” when he fell out of sync with the custom AK crowd, it seems, and investigated and tested the 556R New Gen with surprising results and positive feedback. Reports can be found on Warrior Talk Forum.

The important changes made to the 556R for the New Gen rifle is reported by Suarez from info obtained via people at Sig-Sauer (and slightly enhanced by me where appropriate iro my experience with the rifle so far), namely:

1. The recoil spring is stronger and has 4 more pounds of pressure than the 1st gen rifles.
    2. The magazine well has been widened to accept all manner of variations of steel AK magazines and polymer mags although they may need some fitting mods.
    3. The extractor is wider than on previous guns and the extractor spring has been beefed up.
    4. The extractor spring is 30% stronger than on an AK-47.
    5. Chamber dimensions have been opened up 5 thousands to accommodate variations in "medium quality ammunition" and steel cased ammo.
    6. The internal magazine catch shelf in the forward portion of the receiver is now made of hardened steel instead of aluminium.

Specs and data can be found on the net but here are some basics:

The Sig-Sauer 556R is built on the basic design of the Swiss Sig 55X series of rifles and operates exactly the same way. Operating system is AK style long stroke piston attached to the bolt carrier.

The setup of piston to bolt carrier and removal is the same as with the Sig55X series and detail of how it works can be had from my review of the Sig 553.

The barrel is a 16” light-ish profile barrel with nitride coated chamber and bore and fitted with an A2 type flash hider and USA 308 thread of 5/8x3-24. This is a neat feature because standard 308 flash hiders, comps and muzzle devices can be fitted of which there are many, albeit in the USA.

The lower receiver is manufactured from aluminium instead of steel like on the Sig 55X series and it features the smallish but functional Sig 55X pistol grip.

The stock is the same as the Swiss stock.

The hand guard is similar to the Swiss hand guard but not made of the same polymer (more “placstic” feeling) and looser fitting than found on Swiss rifles.

The Bolt carrier and bolt is very nicely finished but lacks the perfection of the Swiss parts. This not an issue – I am just saying…

The lower receiver features a bolt hold open device but it does not function automatically or by default when the last round in the mag is fired because the AK mags do not allow for this.

Trigger group is very similar to the Swiss set-up and is fairly light and exact.

The rifle is fitted with a fold up back rear sight blade similar to the one on the 553 but not the same height or interchangeable. No front sight is provided but Sig-Sauer includes a Sig-Sauer made in china Aimpoint Micro replica. So far it has held very good but I will ultimately fit an Aimpoint Micro.

Rifle weight is around 7lb and very reasonable imo for what it is.

Range time with the 556R has been extremely enjoyable.

The rifle functioned 100% reliably out of the box and still do – I have sent about 250 round down range so far with mixed Norinco steel cased, Hornady steel cased and Fiochi brass cased ammo.

The rifle is easy to shoot, mild recoiling and fast handling.

I have not cleaned the bolt carrier group since the start of using the rifle and it is stil very clean. I predict the BCG is not going see much attention except for lubing it with Slip2000 EWG now and again.

Steel AK mags fit perfectly and lock in easily and effortlessly. Most polymer mags need to be modified somewhat to make the fit and I have experience in this with the new Bulgarian Circle10 mags I use. After some Dremel attention on the poly mags they fit very nicely and work flawlessly. The Bulgy Circle10 mags are excellent quality and quite a bit lighter in weight than the traditional AK steel mags.

This rifle is a keeper imo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Sig-Sauer 556R - Impressions.

K, i know that they're different platforms, but how do you find it in comparison to the VZ58 in 7.62?

User

At guestimate 70 - 80% more in price for the Sig over the VZ makes the VZ an awesome buy imo.

But the Sig is RDS and Scope ready although the VZ tactical is RDS ready too but not scope ready. The VZ can be enhanced with a FAB railed hand guard or the Top notch NEA hand guard.

Sig uses AK mags which can be a plus if there are mags around butmthe VZ mags are easily obtained even if we do not have any at a given moment and VZ mags are cheaper. CSA is very good at support.

The Sig has an extended handguard which I like for my style of shooting.

The triggers are on par imo.

The Sigs are not yet available from the local importers and we will need to see how the situation in the USA is going to impact that.

They are evenly reliable as in 100% in my experience and both are easy handling with low recoil impulse. Out of the box the VZ has less felt recoil with the VZ comp. It is going to be a mission to get a Sig compatible comp form the USA due to ITAR.

Sig has a good idea with this rifle, and as you know I am no fan of Gabe. I am also not a huge fan of the 7.62x39 where better ammo is available, but in Afrika I just might become one...the more so with a rifle that will take AK mags.

Currently in the states, anything that can take a mag with capacity of over 20rd is selling like crazy, but when all this dies down, this Sig is on my 'check-it-out' list for sure.

Nice review!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks bro - I am not a writer, I lack the patience, but I felt the need to share my experience of this rifle because it is a good rifle with excellent features and Sig-Sauer must get credit on this one.

I am waiting on an American Defense QD mount from Brownells for the Micro which will go on the 556R.

I will check out accuracy this weekend (rain permitting) with different ammo and report back.