Thread: Primer effects

User

Default Primer effects

Hi guys

This is what I got at the range yesterday, take note of the change in primers (I ran out of magnum).

SBHH 7'5" 255g SWC MP200

10grains MP200 (pmp magnum primers)
    1185fps avg of 6 shots.

10.5grains MP200 (std primers)
    1150fps avg of 6 shots

11grains MP200 (std primers)
    1196fps avg of 6 shots

The std primers are sellier & bellott or something like that, don't have them with me to check.

I was under the impression that magnum primers were necessary for large volume powders (S265) but not for the faster stuff like MP200 and S221.

Now what would happen if I used magnum primers with 11g MP200?

Default Re: Primer effects

Hi Mokwepa

I get 30fps diffs when moving between LPStd and LPMag primers of the same brand (CCI), on my 44Mag loaded with S265.

User

Ok, interesting. Would there be a jump in fps between slow or fast powder?

In the car on my way to do a bit of hunting with the SBH (wartys) in prep for the big hunt on the 4th Feb (wildebeest). Still after the poor mans buffalo with a handgun :).

Quote Originally Posted by mokwepa View Post
    Ok, interesting. Would there be a jump in fps between slow or fast powder?
    I assume that you are asking whether you would see the same primer dependent difference with both fast and slow powders(?).

I do not have a clue, but would assume so.

I have not tried "fast" powders in the 44Mag, apart from some 200grn RNs that I was playing with while looking for a fun plinking load (which I need to carry on with). I was fiddling with around 9grns of MS200, and aiming at getting around 900fps (something like 45acp ballistics).

I am a big fan of the slowest possible powder that fills the case as much as possible. The reason for this, is that this sort of load gives the most consistent velocities. I have recently been playing with 38Spl/357Mag loads using S121, MS200 and MP200 - so these are "fast" powders in roomy cases. The velocity SDs are really quite poor. [I don't have the data with me now, so I cannot give you the real details.] Dacron fillers help, but are a bit of a schlepp when loading on a progressive press.

Good luck with the pigs - I wish you cupboards full of carbanossi and salami! :)

I would also like to "plant" a BluWB with the SBH...keep us posted on this, please!
    Last edited by Sweet; 24-01-2013 at 07:53.

Quote Originally Posted by mokwepa View Post
    Now what would happen if I used magnum primers with 11g MP200?
    I managed to mix small pistol primers with small rifle primers in 38 special loads with 5gr MP200.

There was no noticeable difference in the recoil, or difference to the point of aim at 25 meters.