Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MagTech for SD.

Default MagTech for SD.

Hey y'all,

I visited my local gun shop on Saturday to pick up some supplies. Whilst shooting the breeze with the owner as usual, we started discussing carry ammo. I need to replace mine at some time and asked what was available. To make a short story short, I was told that shipments were getting fewer and farther between, hence there is little choice as mentioned earlier on some other thread.

However, one brand that appears to be readily available is MagTech. Is this a local development? I'm interested in 9mm, but mostly .40S&W. Is there anyone with some info on this bullet and its performance?

The 40 looks impressive, with a HUGE cavity on the nose. Its a 180gr bullet (which I like) that is claimed to move at 960fps. This seems ideal, depending the actual bullet performance.

It will take a lot to move me away from my 180gr Speer Gold Dots, but at R190 for a box of 50, this looks like a nice alternative to stock up with should other brands dry up completely.

Any info will be appreciated.

BLA!!

Default Re: MagTech for SD.

Better than ball. I shot some of their 155grn stuff over my chrony. They did between 1250 and 1275 out of my 35.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Has anyone got some credible test results or gelatin test reports? The stuff I was looking at wasnt the premium SD ammo that comes in packs of 20, but the normal hollow points that comes in boxes of 50.

I believe the premium ammo is quite good, but this would make a very affordable option for stocking up!

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sit...search=details

I reckon a 180gr at those velocities won't under-penetrate. It always concerns me when they don't display calibrated gelatin test results. So until they do, it's gonna be a bit of a lucky-packet. At the very least, it's a better alternative to ball at those prices.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

At the price it may be worth picking up a box. Probably worthwhile shooting some into water. Somewhere I have the formula for converting water penetration to gel penetration. Could also test it through 4 layers of denim for expansion. Not quite as good as gel but better than guessing and it does give a fair idea of bullet performance. Magtech has a good reputation for quality.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    Thanks shooter. You've posted this link before, and although very interesting, I don't think its too wise to pick SD ammo based on water bottle tests.

Now if there was a calibrated gelatin test available...

User

While water is not ideal is does give similar expansion to gel. It is a bit harder on bullets and is more likely to cause fragmentation than gel. IIRC Fackler recommends water if you dont have acess to gel. Would be nice to see penetration depths (which will be much greater in water dont compare directly to gel) as there is a coversion to give you an idea. I am more interested in how it expands after 4 layers of denim than in bare test media. But this at least gives us something to work on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    Thanks shooter. You've posted this link before, and although very interesting, I don't think its too wise to pick SD ammo based on water bottle tests.

Now if there was a calibrated gelatin test available...
    Yes I did :D Its the only site that had anything about Magtech that I could find when I wanted to know more about the ammo a while back.

The info might not be exactly what is needed, but it is better than nothing...........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast