Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Glock compact as a "hunting" handgun

Interested to know if anyone has done this or what your thoughts on it are....

I currently have a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40 as my self defence handgun. I'm looking at getting a Glock Compact in 9mm, think its the model 26, to carry on me when I'm hunting, especially in remote areas, as well as when I'm out trail running (in a camelbak). My motivation would be for hunting purposes to finish off an animal from close range with a 9mm instead of a high velocity rifle cartridge. As it is much smaller and lighter than the fullsize M&P, it won't get in the way when I do carry a rifle while hunting, as well as being lighter in my backpack when I go for runs. I won't include the running part in my motivation, as that is another self defence firearm angle of motivation. So essentially, I'm looking to convice the CFR that I need this firearm for hunting purposes to finish off wounded game by not prolonging its suffering and also not wasting meat, and hence hunting unethically. I am a dedicated hunter. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are in terms of if this can be done or not??

User

Default Re: Glock compact as a "hunting" handgun

Imo the best hunting back-up pistol (and handgun for that matter) is a Glock20.

Just license it as sport shooting. "Hunting" with a semi automatic handgun is illegal to my knowledge? Don't confuse them with unnecessary info when trying to license something.

User

I was initially going to go for this angle when I bought my glock 19. This was a while back. People were quite adament that it shouldnt be done and rather licensed under OSS.

Not entirely the same but still a help

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...d-hunter/page2

While I understand that your application of the weapon is not in the primary hunting of the quarry, but rather as an efficient and convenient (light and hence portable) means of apply a coup de grace, I think that it would be lost on the average person assessing your app at the CFR.

Going for an "occasional sport" angle would make more sense to me...I take it that hunting is a sport, among other things,to you?

User

UB, just license the new pistol under OSS rather. I cannot think that "hunting" would be a good motivation for a compact handgun.

Also, why the G26? if you already run a M&P40, consider the M&P40c, it's only very slightly larger than the G26, same round count (10+1), you'll be able to use your fullsize mags on it and the manual of arms would be identical.

:- P

Pirate makes a good point

User

Yes, you need a handgun to dispatch wounded game at close range. IMO you shouldn't be in the field without one.

You should be able to motivate the Glock for this, although I think my personal choice (357 revolver) is more appropriate :-)

User

*double post*
    Last edited by wrm; 07-02-2013 at 15:00.

I echo you on the 357Mag, but it does seem that there is an echo on this thread, WRM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast