Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ammo question

User

Default Ammo question

A question for those in the know, for a self defense weapon which type of ammo and which brand should one use? I know this might be one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions but I am really not sure.

Then onto range ammo, its just that correct? You use it at the range and if you do comps right? Or would serious competition guys use expensive / personally reloaded ammo?

Default Re: Ammo question

For SD you are looking for something with reliable expansion and good penetration. They are pretty scarce at the moment, for 9mm anyway. Something like Federal HST, Ranger T, Remington Golden Sabre, etc. As long as it works properly in your gun you should be fine carrying it.

For range use, most people use some sort of reloaded CMJ (copper washed lead) bullet. Personally reloaded ammo is much cheaper than store bought ammo, and therefore more popular. For range use you do not need an expanding bullet, so if you can get away with shooting cheaper stuff, it's fine.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

VW_Mk1 for what caliber?

I use Hornady XTP 124gr for my 9mm carry ammo. This is not the top choice for most, but for me it is affordable enough that I could function check some and to make sure they are reliable in my FA.

Range ammo I use either Winchester white box or Fiocchi (Is that spelled right), I have used Diplopoint and Nobletech as well without problems, although some have reported some QC failures with these ammo.

I have recently decided to go the reloading route but have not really started rolling out any ammo so at present I cant give a opinion. (If my *&%^( scale will find its way to the gun shop it would help)

User

If you find SD ammo for your caliber, buy it. It's scarce these days and will remain as such for some time.

Then, if you plan to shoot competitions, load your own ammo. You're going to save a lot in the long run.

User

Sorry guys, its a Glock 19 9mm, should have added that in.

How long does quality ammo last? Can you keep it for like 2 years and its safe? Being SD you might really not use it ever...hopefully.

User

2 years! I have shot premium ammo I bought in 1990 and they fired no problem. They are kept in dry in my safe. Get federal HST for your G19

User

I also carry Hornady XTP (Glock 17). There is better ammo (Winchester Ranger, Golden sabers, Federal HST), but right now my budget does not allow it.

There is a lot of info on this here on GS, search function is your friend. Actually, reading the ammo and handgun section's first couple of pages should give good info.

User

I have a box of Federal 158gr for my .357 rollie that my dad bought in 1982 with his rollie.
    It still shoots just as good as any other round but i will only use them for paper punching, you never know when one of these old timers might decide to go click

User

Ok great thanks very much for the info guys, will go through these pages and read!

User

Carry ammo should be rotated every 6 months to a year, stored ammo can be kept a loooooong time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast