Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: BADSHOEK HUNTING LODGE - BEAUFORT WEST (ANY COMMENTS)

I was there this year. What a flippen rip off. That place will never see me again. You need to ask a quote up front, and not only terms. The hidden cost makes a R 9000 hunt end up more than double. We were told that you pay for the petrol, vehicle use, guide separately and then VAT is charged.......Then female animals are more than male animals and then the gala starts. On the farm is is only land rovers starting from the first one in 1960's till about the almost latest one. Our vehicle cost R400 a day and broke down on numerous occasions in the veldt. My guide had a broken binoculars and we searched and searched driving around to only find animals on distances in excess of 250m.Too make a long story short, I shot a gemsbok cow (gis koei) at 350m, on instruction of guide. I could not make out sex at that distance. Well I paid R5 000 for that 76kg I was there this year. What a flippen rip off. That place will never see me again. You need to ask a quote up front, and not only terms and conditions. The hidden cost makes a R 9000 hunt end up more than double. We were told that you pay for the petrol, vehicle use, guide separately and then VAT is charged....... One actually has no idea how it will add up. Then female animals are more expensive than male animals and then the gala starts. On the farm is mostly only land rovers starting from the first one in 1960's till about the almost latest one. Our vehicle cost R400 a day and broke down on numerous occasions in the veldt. My guide had a broken binoculars and we searched and searched driving around to only find animals on distances in excess of 250m. He used my optics and I had to repair my Zeiss afterwards as I have no idea how they managed to mess up the objective lenses. To make a long story short, I shot a gemsbok cow (gis koei) at 350m, (on instruction of guide - "Meneer skiet hom, is mooi groot bok"), BWB 100kg (296m fortunately a bull), Impala 29kg(180m) and a sheep 35kg (90m). I did not attempt to determine the sex or size of the oryx at that distance. Well I paid R5 700 for that 76kg cow, "because it is in the agreement" I was told on my appeal to for a lessor amount. Then the amount of petrol I paid was per km, which in turn again is driven by the wild game (so you just loose) and then VAT is charged on everything. We saw a wounded Zebra, and I was told by the owner to leave it as he was getting a hunter in to whom he would try and sell it to.......(Was apparently wounded by Americans the prev week) In the mean time the poor thing struggled. I would have put down it if, being R7k+ VAT (I think) was not for the price tag added....... Another group on the farm found a wounded impala and shot it. One never really realizes the "hidden cost" which you can t fathom. It is actually an open ended agreement.... I thought I would pay about R600 a day for 3 days, plus game ofR7 000, so I had a budget of R12 000 and paid over R9 000 in advance. Account was R21 000, being petrol extra couple hundred, vehicle being more, female gemsbok another couple thou as well as VAT on all another couple of thou. I gladly would have paid around R15 k, but more than R5 000 for VAT, wrongly pointed out animals, dilapidated equipment (I actually ripped my finger open on the wires that fixed the hunting carriage to the vehicle....),is just not fair. The accomadation is actually just as neglegted and I almost fell through the floor of the deck on 2 occasions. I have to mention that the staff was very friendly, we we received a nice freshly baked bread and we received a day for free due to no hot water on our first night. As a last point, the prices are quoted exclusive of VAT, which is not legal. On a farm where VAT is charged, surely the input cost should be less and cannot be the same as market related.

User

Hunted there last year, was rubbish, never again, Beware, the previous post is accurate.

User

Seems to be living up to its name, "Bads"hoek !

Badshoek is legendary in its badness. a Forum search before you went would have had you cancel this in an instant before you went. Pity you had such a bad experience.

Few!

Was aiming to get one more hunt in towards the end of this year but they were already booked for our available weekend, which now seems to be quite fortunate for me. From my communications with the owner it seemed like all the animals were quite wild with only very long shots to be taken. My other concerns was that he indicated that due to the setup on the farm, it will be difficult for us to hunt more than one animal per day.

True or not I will not be able to comment and based on what I have read, probably never will be able to comment from experience. Will stay clear of this one then.

By the way, on the issue of VAT, I have actually sourced some pricing from a lot of WC hunting farms in order to plan ahead and a lot of them, if not majority, shows all pricing (including accommodation, vehicles, fees, slaughtering and animals) are all EXCL. VAT.

User

It is within the law to advertise/quote excluding VAT. The law requires this to be stated clearly though (as in "all prices exclude VAT")

Apologies for reviving a 6 year old thread, but I would like to mention that Badshoek is still providing exactly the same experience as previously discussed in this thread. I sadly spent my time and money there over the past 4 days and wish I did some research before making a booking. Anyway, I will not be going back and recommend anyone else to steer clear unless you like to be severely ripped off!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2