User

Default IDPA New Shooter Orientation/IPSC shooting?!

Hi all

Probably a 2-3 part question so bare with me please.

I want ( NEED!) to start shooting IDPA/IPSC. Now from all the info I have read I understand that I need to shoot a NSO before I can take part in any IDPA comps.

Now, KFSC had a NSO on the 26th of Jan ( I got my FA on the 28th! ) and the next one is only end September! If I can find another club to shoot an NSO, will I be able to do it even though I am a member at KFSC? Once I have done my NSO, what then? Do I get a piece of paper prove that I have done the NSO or a tap on the back, thumbs up, "ok, you can shoot IDPA matches now".

Also, what is the difference between IDPA and IPSC? I see Kraaifontein has IDPA one weekend and IPSC another weekend. Do I need to do some form of orientation to shoot IPSC as well or can I just enter at the club and shoot the comp?

Final question - In the news letter I got it states:
    All club shoots will be run as a grand tournament and only 1 shooting credit can be accumulated. Please note, it is every shooter’s responsibility to keep record of his credits.
    How would I go about keeping record of my credits? Can I get a ledger book and get the range officer to sign it at the end of the day or is there a different/better way of approaching it?

I would like to get my DSS status so that I can broaden my shooting experience by shooting in different classes ( with different firearms ) but mostly, I just want to enjoy shooting different guns and participate more often.

User

Default Re: IDPA New Shooter Orientation/IPSC shooting?!

I don't know about IPSC, so I can tell you how it works with IDPA (SADPA)

You can do the NSO at any club in South Africa once you have obtained your SADPA number. This implies that your club fees as well as SADPA fees must be paid.
    Once you have received your SADPA number (takes about 2-3 days) then you can do the NSO. As part of the NSO you MUST also shoot the "classifier" stage which will determine your classification. You would then be able to compete against simmilarly skilled shooters. A Master does not compete in the same class as a Novice, or Marksmen for that matter.
    The NSO / Classifier also gives you four points towards your DSS. You require 20 points for DSS. A clubshoot is 4 points, League = 6, Naional = 8 and international = 10 points.
    The club where the classifier / clubshoot was held is responsable to forward the scores for the day to SADPA who keeps a database of your shoots for you.

Once you have done the NSO and Classifier then you can go to any of the SADPA clubs and do their clubshoots / leagues. You do not have to shoot at your club only.

The NSO is not complete unless you shoot the classifier as well.

User

SADPA / IDPA have five classes which you can compete in.
    SSP - Standard Service Pistol - designed for striker fired pistols and double action pistols.
    ESP - Enhanced Service Pistol - designed for single action pistols. (cocked / locked)
    CDP - Custom defensive pistol - designed for the 45ACP aka Colt 1911 etc
    SSR - Standard service revolver - designed for the .38Spl with a power factor of 105
    ESR - Enhanced Service Revolver - designed for .357Mag / 44Mag and bigger - must make factor of 165

Under DSS you can have multiple handguns shooting in multiple classes.

IDPA is also geared more towards your dayly EDC gear and guns, where IPSC allows a lot more modifications and "race guns" and "Speed rigs"

User

Thanks mic, great info!

Any Kraaifontein members here? Is there anyway I could shoot one sooner that end September there or would I rather have to go somewhere else?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeklong View Post
    Thanks mic, great info!

Any Kraaifontein members here? Is there anyway I could shoot one sooner that end September there or would I rather have to go somewhere else?
    If you ask nicely, normally someone will take you through the NSO and a classifier on your own. Or if you find other ppl that need to do it, then you can sort out a group. Get in touch with FBGC and KSC and ask them if there will be one sooner or if there are guys that need to have it done. Just make sure you are a paid up member of SADPA and with the club.

I would suggest going with IDPA as it is more in line with EDC. Also there is less of a round count. I would start off with IDPA and then you can always try out IPSC at a later stage.

I know there is a club match at KSC soon and where you are situated i would join KSC as a club. This means you can also shoot at FBGC when there are IDPA matches. I can put you in touch with KSC and you can see if you can possibly do the NSO before the match. I will be shooting that one and then the next day at FBGC. I cant speak for KSC but im sure they can sort something out.

Let me know

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    If you ask nicely, normally someone will take you through the NSO and a classifier on your own. Or if you find other ppl that need to do it, then you can sort out a group. Get in touch with FBGC and KSC and ask them if there will be one sooner or if there are guys that need to have it done. Just make sure you are a paid up member of SADPA and with the club.

I would suggest going with IDPA as it is more in line with EDC. Also there is less of a round count. I would start off with IDPA and then you can always try out IPSC at a later stage.

I know there is a club match at KSC soon and where you are situated i would join KSC as a club. This means you can also shoot at FBGC when there are IDPA matches. I can put you in touch with KSC and you can see if you can possibly do the NSO before the match. I will be shooting that one and then the next day at FBGC. I cant speak for KSC but im sure they can sort something out.

Let me know
    Thanks for the reply Paul. Had a long chat with your boet about it as well last night. I've joined KSC last year and paid SADPA this morning. Hopefully I can make the NSO/orientation at Falsebay on Sat but I'm not counting on SADPA sending me my number by then. I'll have a chat with the people at KSC and see if they can help.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeklong View Post
    Thanks for the reply Paul. Had a long chat with your boet about it as well last night. I've joined KSC last year and paid SADPA this morning. Hopefully I can make the NSO/orientation at Falsebay on Sat but I'm not counting on SADPA sending me my number by then. I'll have a chat with the people at KSC and see if they can help.
    Marge is normally pretty efficient so Im sure you will have it by then. Or she could possibly send you a confirmation email to show whoever is running the NSO.

Pete and I will be there on saturday for some training so we will see you there.

Let me know if you need any spare mags, concealment vests or anything

User

Thanks Paul. Going to the the Hunters Ulitmate X on Sat but will try pull though for an hour or two on Sat morning to join up with you guys.

User

The NSO + classifier usually takes about 3-4 hours