Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Printable magazines, would you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by PesVis View Post
    I have been giving the idea some serious thought over the last few days. I was thinking one could do all the initial prototyping with a 3d printer, and then either print a mould or make a mould from the printed magazine. Then mould the magazines with a better polymer/resin. I would definitely try and make some mags for my mini14

This would be the best option i think. Get a working design made up, test it as much as possible, re-design and modify to improve it. Once you have a good standard one, make a mould, and start making them from more robust plastic material. Local is lekker, so I'm sure if you have a great product, people will buy it.

User

Mag is in for design and drawings, will get the OEM mag back on Friday, then I will have some springs made.

I asked them to thicken the feed lips on the outside (inside would affect feeding reliability), and make the mag red or blue to easily identify the training mags.
    They have a trick to properly fuse the layers that the 3D printing creates, making it one piece of plastic to make it stronger.

Hopefully this works because it was a little more expensive than I thought, but there's only one way to find out - talkers & doers and all...

I'm very excited about this project!

So, how many rounds would you guys like to see out of one of these before something fails?

Will also do some drop tests, how far do you think a full mag needs to be able to fall without breaking to be acceptable?

User

Quote Originally Posted by KingMST View Post
    Mag is in for design and drawings, will get the OEM mag back on Friday, then I will have some springs made.

I asked them to thicken the feed lips on the outside (inside would affect feeding reliability), and make the mag red or blue to easily identify the training mags.
    They have a trick to properly fuse the layers that the 3D printing creates, making it one piece of plastic to make it stronger.

Hopefully this works because it was a little more expensive than I thought, but there's only one way to find out - talkers & doers and all...

I'm very excited about this project!

So, how many rounds would you guys like to see out of one of these before something fails?

Will also do some drop tests, how far do you think a full mag needs to be able to fall without breaking to be acceptable?
    Awesome! Where did you have it done?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PesVis View Post
    Awesome! Where did you have it done?
    CAD House in Centurion, visit their site here:
    http://www.cad-house.co.za

They are not actually in the business of manufacturing, they usually sell, support & maintain the equipment.
    I asked them to help on the premise that if this works I will buy my own machine and start the manufacturing myself...

They can however direct you to some of their clients who would do the manufacturing for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

They have such awesome stuff there that they have done! Intake manifolds, scale model cars, human sculls, little Eiffel towers...
    The possibilities are endless.

If this works it will be awesome, we'll be at the forefront of technological innovation relating to firearms.
    Can't wait to get to testing!

User

This all sounds rather exciting!

For range mags at that price, maybe around 1000. Considering the availability of OEM... I'd be happy with that low a round count... though 10k would be nicer :D

1.5m would be general use... maybe 2m as a safety margin?

User

Was just thinking that getting the propper springs from the states might be an option... but they are $8 a pop on Brownells... so not really an option.

User

I'm pretty sure there will be spring manufacturers in SA who will be able to make them. Otherwise I don't think it will be too hard to make ourselves. Just do proper research and testing

User

I already have proper spring manufacturers lined up, will take the OEM example to them as soon as I have it back.

User

Would you need some kind of a license to manufacture mags and other accessories in sunny SA? Seeing that its not ammo or a firearm.

I like the thinking and the initiative. IMHO though Nic Yales idea of sourcing OEM magazines from European production is first option.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast